NEWTON, Mass. -- Verizon has introduced FiOS TV to consumers in Littleton, Natick and Newton, adding 45,000 more households to the company's growing list of communities where its revolutionary service is available. FiOS TV is now available to more than 200,000 households in the Bay State. Newton is the company's largest franchise to date.
Littleton, Natick and Newton are among 34 Massachusetts communities where the company's new fiber-optic television service is being offered, delivered over the only all-digital, fiber network that is being made available, on a mass scale, to millions of individual homes and businesses.
The service is also offered in Acton, Andover, Belmont, Boxborough, Boxford, Burlington, Dedham, Georgetown, Hamilton, Hopkinton, Ipswich, Lincoln, Lexington, Lynn, Lynnfield, Marlborough, Nahant, Needham, North Reading, Reading, Stoneham, Swampscott, Tewksbury, Topsfield, Tyngsborough, Wakefield, Wellesley, Wenham, West Newbury, Winchester and Woburn. The company also has TV franchises in the Massachusetts communities of Franklin (approved 12/20), Marion, Mattapoisett and Rochester.
"FiOS TV gives Littleton, Natick and Newton consumers an outstanding, superior alternative for their video entertainment," said Donna Cupelo, Verizon region president for Massachusetts and Rhode Island. "Customers who liked what FiOS did for their Internet connection will love what it does for their TV. We've harnessed the speed and capacity of fiber-based broadband with the power of broadcast to create a revolutionary, new entertainment experience.
"We are hopeful the city of Framingham will follow suit soon," Cupelo added. "Since the launch of FiOS TV in Massachusetts earlier this year, we are continuing our efforts to meet the consumer demand for cable TV choice."
Verizon is currently negotiating with some 30 other communities in Massachusetts to obtain additional franchises. For more information on the Verizon franchise process in the state, visit www.verizon.com/ma.
Verizon launched FiOS TV in Keller, Texas, in September 2005 and began taking orders in Woburn, Mass., in February. The company also has begun offering the service elsewhere in Texas, as well as in parts of New York, California, Florida, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
Massachusetts residents who are FiOS TV-eligible now have the option to trim their monthly bills by bundling FiOS TV service, FiOS Internet Service and the Verizon Freedom Value unlimited calling plan, all for $104.85.
Service highlights include:
- A broad collection of all-digital programming and compelling consumer choice.
- A lead offer of nearly 200 digital video and music channels for $39.95 a month, or $34.95 when combined with high-speed Internet service or a qualifying voice plan. Customers who want just the FiOS TV package and agree to take it for a year do not have to pay the $3.95 per month fee for one standard-definition set-top box; or they can choose instead to receive a $5 monthly discount on the Movie Package.
- More than 20 high-definition channels, with extraordinary clarity and theater-quality sound.
- More than 4,000 On Demand titles available to customers, of which 60 percent are free.
- Channels grouped by genres such as entertainment, sports, news, shopping, movies and family, making it easy for audiences to find their favorite programming.
- An easy-to-use interactive programming guide that integrates HD programming, On Demand content and the digital video recorder along with broadcast television into a seamless user experience.
- A dual-tuner, HD-capable digital video recorder that gives customers the freedom to pause and rewind live TV, record one show while watching another, and fast forward to their favorite part of the program – all without a VCR, tapes or DVDs.
- The option of Home Media DVR, featuring a multi-room DVR that enables up to three simultaneous viewings of programs recorded by the device without requiring customers to set up a complex home network or buy extra equipment. The recorder is bundled with Media Manager, a new feature that lets customers easily access photos and music from their personal computer and play them on their entertainment center where they look and sound the best.
- FiOS TV Widgets, a free interactive feature that provides local weather and traffic information.
Information on packages and prices is available at www.verizon.net/fiostv. Littleton, Natick and Newton customers also can call 1-800-880-2943 to see if they qualify to order FiOS TV.
Verizon research indicates 87 percent of Massachusetts residents favor more competition and choice for video services. Independent studies have shown that competition in the video market brings enormous benefits to consumers in the form of reduced prices, better packages and improved service.
Delivered over Verizon's fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network, FiOS TV is designed to be a formidable competitor to cable and satellite. The Verizon FTTP network, the largest of its kind in the country, is currently under construction in more than half the states where the company offers landline communications services, including more than 50 Massachusetts communities.
The network brings the power and capacity of fiber optics directly into people's homes and has industry-leading quality and reliability. Fiber delivers amazingly sharp pictures and sound, and has the capacity to transmit a wide array of high-definition programming that is so clear and intense it seems to leap from the TV screen. It also delivers Internet download speeds of up to 50 Mbps (megabits per second) and upload speeds of up to 10 Mbps* as well as high-quality voice services. Only Verizon's FTTP network has earned the certification of the independent Fiber to the Home Council for providing fiber all the way customers' homes and businesses.
Programming choices for Hispanic, African-American, Asian, Russian and other multicultural audiences are available in every market. Because FiOS TV has so much capacity, it is an outlet for emerging and independent networks to showcase their diverse programming.
Service and Package Details
FiOS TV subscribers can choose from three simple-to-understand service offerings, each with built-in choice and value. They can then choose from packages and premium channels with programming that meets their special interests. Verizon offers three set-top boxes: standard definition for $3.95 per month; high definition, which includes HD channels, for $9.95 per month; and a dual-tuner, HD-capable digital video recorder for $12.95 per month.
The services include:
- FiOS TV Local, with access to more than 20 local broadcast weather and community channels for $12.95 per month. The service is digital with a set-top box, which also provides access to On Demand programming. Basic is also available as an analog service that does not require a set-top box for viewing.
- FiOS TV Premier, Verizon's lead offer, delivers nearly 200 video and music channels for $39.95 per month. This tier includes access to On Demand content and requires a set-top box. High-definition channels are included in this tier at no extra charge, and customers must have an HD set-top box and an HD-ready TV to view them.
- La Conexión, an alternative to FiOS TV Premier, designed for bilingual consumers who enjoy TV programs in English and Spanish, for $32.95 per month. La Conexión is also available as a stand-alone service for $32.95 per month. The package includes nearly 140 channels with English and Spanish-language programming and access to On Demand programming. This service requires a set-top box. HD channels are included in this tier
at no extra charge, and customers must have an HD set-top box and an HD-ready TV to view them.
Verizon FiOS TV customers who sign up for 12 months of FiOS TV Premier or La Conexión will have the choice of receiving $5 off the monthly Movie Package price for an annual savings of $60. Or, customers can waive the monthly standard set-top box fee of $3.95 – an annual savings of $47.40.
Consumers with a passion for movies or sports can add the movie package with 44 channels of Starz, Encore, Showtime, The Movie Channel, Sundance and Flix, as well as 255 titles of On Demand programming, for a regular price of $11.95 a month. Sports enthusiasts can add a 15-channel sports package for $5.95 a month. Or, both packages can be purchased for $14.95 a month. In addition to the movie package, customers with a set-top box can order new On Demand movie releases for $3.95 each or choose from a selection of movie library titles for $2.95 each.
For wrestling fans, Verizon offers World Wrestling Entertainment's WWE 24/7, a subscription On Demand service, for $7.95 a month. Karaoke fans can sing along at home with a subscription to the Karaoke package for $7.95 a month.
Verizon also offers 14 HBO channels and 12 Cinemax channels as premium services, with each set of channels available for $14.95. The price includes access to each channel's subscription On Demand library. Subscribers who want both HBO and Cinemax will pay $24.95 per month.
The value of FiOS TV extends to the installation and customer support. Specially trained Verizon technicians will install the service and acquaint subscribers with FiOS TV features and services. Verizon is waiving the installation fee for up to three existing TV outlets, and there is no charge to install a needed optical network terminal at the subscriber's home. Charges for other installation services, such as additional outlets, may apply. Verizon provides 24x7 technical assistance by phone from its Fiber Solutions Centers in Providence, R.I., and other cities.
* Note: Actual (throughput) speeds will vary.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), a New York-based Dow 30 company, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving nearly 57 million customers nationwide. Verizon's Wireline operations include Verizon Business, which operates one of the most expansive wholly-owned global IP networks, and Verizon Telecom, which is deploying the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network to deliver the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services to customers. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.