Consumers and businesses are reaping the benefits of Verizon's continued significant communications and computing infrastructure investment across New Jersey. The company invested more than $688 million in its New Jersey landline communications network and IT infrastructure in 2010.
"New Jersey's communications marketplace is one of the most competitive in the nation, and Verizon is helping to position the state as a technology leader through our aggressive investment in the latest technology for consumers and businesses," said Dennis M. Bone, president of Verizon New Jersey. "From the smallest home to the largest business, Verizon's networks and technology touch lives, and our substantial investments benefit our customers, employees, suppliers and communities."
Verizon's major landline infrastructure programs last year included:
- Continued deployment of the company's award-winning, 100 percent fiber-optic FiOS TV and FiOS Internet services. In 2010, Verizon extended FiOS service to more customers across the state, with the services available to more than 1.7 million New Jersey homes and businesses at year's end.
- Enhancements that further differentiate FiOS services from the competition. FiOS TV provides a host of innovative, interactive features including an advanced interactive media guide; social TV, news, sports and entertainment widgets; DVR management via broadband or cell phone; multi-room Home Media DVR; and more. In 2010, Verizon:
- Launched Flex View, which enables FiOS TV customers to take on-demand video programming outside of the home and view it on various portable devices, including a growing number of compatible smartphones, tablets and laptops.
- Revved up FiOS Internet speeds to 150 megabits per second for downloading and 35 Mbps for uploading - the fastest mass-market speeds in the country.
- Deployment of fiber-optic links to wireless providers' cell sites throughout New Jersey as these carriers expand their infrastructure to meet ever-growing demand for wireless broadband and advanced 4G services. In 2010, Verizon deployed fiber optics to connect more than 1,660 of these sites.
Verizon Business provides secure global information technology and communications services to many medium- to large-business and government customers throughout New Jersey. In 2010, the unit launched the Verizon Mobile Services Enablement Platform to support the development of enterprise mobility applications. In addition, Verizon Business continued to implement its "everything-as-a-service" strategy, introducing new cloud computing solutions, such as Verizon UC&C with Microsoft Online Services, a new unified communications solution; and Verizon Computing as a Service, SMB, a pay-as-you-go online cloud service for small and medium businesses.
In addition, security offerings and a host of industry-specific innovations were unveiled. For example, the New Meadowlands Stadium in East Rutherford implemented technologies from Cisco and Verizon to offer stadium sports fans and entertainment followers custom digital video and wireless content, showcasing one of the most technologically advanced and memorable experiences in sports and entertainment.
"Verizon's continued robust network and IT investment is driving the next generation of cloud computing services, which will benefit consumers and businesses alike by making new capabilities available to anyone, anywhere at the touch of a fingertip -- on a laptop, smartphone or tablet computer," said Bone.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, NASDAQ:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving 94.1 million customers nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers innovative, seamless business solutions to customers around the world. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of more than 194,000 and last year generated consolidated revenues of $106.6 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.