The future of television has arrived in Rancho Cucamonga and Fontana as Verizon introduces FiOS TV to nearly 10,000 more homes and businesses, delivered via the company's revolutionary all-fiber-optic network. Consumers can enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience from FiOS TV, with 127 high-definition (HD) channels in California and Verizon's industry-leading video on demand (VOD) - an experience cable simply can't match.
"Our FiOS services will give Rancho Cucamonga and Fontana consumers an outstanding, superior alternative for their Internet access and video entertainment," said Dustin Kroeger, director of West Coast marketing. "Customer response to FiOS TV and FiOS Internet service has been astounding. Every day, more Californians are choosing Verizon and saying goodbye to their cable or satellite company. Now, Rancho Cucamonga and Fontana residents can join the all-fiber, FiOS revolution."
In California, Verizon's FiOS TV and FiOS Internet services are now available to more than 1 million households in 85 communities throughout San Bernardino, Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura and Riverside counties.
"Cable and satellite providers just can't match the high-definition channels or the innovative features and enhancements FiOS TV customers enjoy," said Kroeger. "We've harnessed the vast capacity of our advanced fiber-optic network to deliver a revolutionary, new entertainment experience."
Verizon currently offers consumers a new set of FiOS bundles that include more choices, faster Internet speeds and exciting new incentives, such as Compaq Mini netbooks or Flip Ultra camcorders. More information can be found at www.verizon.com/seefios.
FiOS TV is available to 9.7 million homes in 14 states: California, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia and Washington.
FiOS TV Service Highlights
- More than 500 all-digital channels grouped by genres such as entertainment, sports, news, marketplace, movies and family, making it easy for audiences to find their favorite programming.
- Approximately 127 HD channels in California, with extraordinary clarity and theater-quality sound.
- An industry-leading offering of more than 15,000 VOD titles each month, 70 percent of which are free. FiOS TV VOD also includes more than 1,400 HD titles each month.
- An innovative interactive media guide (IMG) that helps customers quickly and easily find and enjoy content from TV listings, VOD catalogs and the digital video recorder (DVR), as well as personal music and photos from a home network. Among the features of the IMG are:
- Multi-Room DVR - Home Media DVR customers can stream recorded HD and standard-definition (SD) programs to up to six other TV sets throughout the home. This includes the ability to watch three separately recorded shows on three TV sets at the same time, plus pause recorded programming in one room and continue watching in another.
- Widgets - Customers have one-touch, on-demand access to local weather and traffic reports shown on TV screens. Subscribers also receive daily local and national news headlines, daily national sports headlines, community news, and daily horoscopes.
- Free casual games - With the remote control, customers can access chess, solitaire, wordplay and Sudoku from the FiOS TV Main Menu.
- Remote DVR Management - Home Media DVR customers can control their home DVRs from any Internet-connected computer - or a wireless phone - to review, change or add programs to record at home and to set parental controls.
- Fantasy Football - Registered users of ESPN Fantasy Football will have instant on-screen access to personalized NFL statistics, including rosters, box scores, scoring leaders and player information.
- "What's Hot on FiOS TV" - Features information on the most popular programs currently being broadcast in the region and the most popular VOD titles.
- "Return to Paused Programming" - Customers can pause live programming, change channels, and then return to the paused program and pick up where they left off.
- Channel sorting options - Customers can create two separate lists of favorite channels for family members. Customers also can filter channels in the guide by genre for instances where a customer may only want to see HD content, international channels or kids programming, among others.
Programming choices for Hispanic, African-American, Asian, Russian and other multicultural audiences are available in every market, making FiOS TV an outlet for emerging and independent networks to showcase their diverse programming.
FiOS TV is delivered over Verizon's all-fiber-optic network, which brings the power and capacity of fiber optics directly into people's homes and has industry-leading quality and reliability. Fiber delivers amazingly sharp pictures and sound, and has the capacity to transmit a wide array of high-definition programming that is so clear and intense it seems to leap from the TV screen.
FiOS Internet Highlights
Verizon's 50/20 Mbps (megabits per second) FiOS Internet connection is the fastest available to Rancho Cucamonga consumers.* FiOS Internet provides the ultra-fast, two-way speeds crucial for such burgeoning online activities as video conferencing, social networking and super-fast uploading of electronic photo albums or home videos, as well as multi-player gaming and online work collaboration. Verizon's FiOS Internet service is now available at newly increased speeds of 15/5 Mbps and 25/15 Mbps.
Verizon's FiOS Internet service was named the top pick in PC Magazine's 2008 readers' survey and also was named a winner in PC World Magazine's The 100 Best Products of 2008 - the second year in a row the broadband service made both lists.
At 50 Mbps, downloading a 5 GB (gigabyte) file, such as 112-minute, high-definition movie purchased online, takes approximately 13.3 minutes, while a 50 MB (megabyte), or 60-minute, Web video takes eight seconds, and a 5 MB MP3 music file takes less than eight-tenths of a second.
Using a 20 Mbps upstream broadband connection, a consumer could upload a 250 MB file of 200 photos in about 90 seconds, instead of the roughly 47 minutes it takes over a 768 Kbps (kilobits per second) upstream connection. A 3 GB file, such as a one-hour family video shot with a high-definition video camera, could be uploaded in around 20 minutes, compared with more than nine hours with 768 Kbps upstream.
Residential customers can learn more information and order FiOS by calling 888-GET FiOS (888-438-3467) or visiting www.verizon.com/fios. Small and medium-sized businesses can place orders by visiting www.verizon.com/bizfiostv or calling 877-FiOS BIZ (877-346-7249) for more information.
* NOTE: actual (throughput) speeds will vary.