FORT WAYNE, Ind. - Starting next year, customers in Fort Wayne will be able to enjoy the most robust and compelling TV-viewing experience available when Verizon introduces its all-digital, fiber-based FiOS TV service here.
"Customers love FiOS. Since we introduced FiOS Internet Service, customers have told us that our all-fiber network and customer service have exceeded their expectations on value and quality," said Mike Millegan, senior vice president and general manager, who is based in Fort Wayne. "When we begin offering video service in Fort Wayne next year, we fully expect customers to recognize its superior qualities. We have the best network, services, pricing and people to make a dramatic market impact."
Verizon already offers the amazingly sharp pictures and sound delivered over its all-digital, fiber-optic network to customers in about 80 cities in parts of seven states: California, Florida, Massachusetts, Maryland, New York, Texas and Virginia. The company's ultra-fast, all-fiber FiOS Internet Service was introduced in Fort Wayne and New Haven last year, and continues to receive very favorable customer reviews.
"Verizon's announcement speaks to the value of the legislation we passed earlier this year, proving its ability to bring investment and consumer benefits to Indiana," said state Sen. Brandt Hershman.
As Verizon expands its FiOS offering to include in-home video service, the company will bring significant choice for subscription television and on-demand programming, along with a new "triple-play" option of voice, Internet and television services on one bill.
"Watching entertainment, cultural and news content over a FiOS TV connection will forever transform the television-viewing experience in Fort Wayne," said Gale Given, Great Lakes region president. "The very progressive legislation put in place earlier this year by Gov. Mitch Daniels and the Indiana Legislature created an environment where video choice and infrastructure investment is encouraged. We are confident that consumers will positively embrace our video service, and we look forward to bringing about real video competition in the Fort Wayne area."
Verizon is the only company to offer an all-fiber communications network that extends all the way into customers' homes, apartments and small-business offices across the country. This new, advanced network is the largest of its kind in the country and is currently under construction in more than half the states where Verizon offers landline communications services.
Verizon first began offering its fiber-optic-based TV service last Sept. 22 in North Texas.
Early response to the television, data and voice offerings enabled by Verizon's all-fiber network have been strong. When Verizon reported its 2006 second-quarter earnings in August, it noted that in markets where the company has been selling FiOS TV for at least six months, its penetration levels already average 10 percent.
FiOS TV service highlights in existing markets include:
- A lead offer with more than 180 digital video and music channels.
- More than 20 high-definition (HD) channels, with extraordinary clarity and theater-quality sound.
- More than 2,800 On Demand titles available to customers now, increasing to over 3,500 titles in the next several months.
- Channels grouped by genres such as entertainment, sports, news, shopping, movies and family, making it easy for audiences to find their favorite programming.
- An easy-to-use interactive programming guide that integrates HD programming, On Demand content and the digital video recorder along with broadcast television into a seamless user experience.
- A dual-tuner, HD-capable DVR that gives customers the freedom to pause and rewind live TV, record one show while watching another, and fast forward to their favorite part of the program - all without a VCR, tapes or DVDs.
- The option of Home Media DVR, featuring a multi-room DVR that enables up to three simultaneous viewings of programs recorded by the device without requiring customers to set up a complex home network or buy extra equipment. The recorder is bundled with Media Manager, a new feature that lets customers easily access photos and music from their personal computer and play them on their entertainment center where they look and sound the best.
- FiOS TV Widgets, a free interactive feature that provides local weather and traffic information.
The all-fiber network brings the power and capacity of fiber optics directly into people's homes and has industry-leading quality and reliability. Fiber has the capacity to transmit a wide array of high-definition programming that is so clear and intense it seems to leap from the TV screen. It also delivers Internet download speeds of up to 30 Mbps (megabits per second) and upload speeds of up to 5 Mbps as well as high-quality voice services.
More information about FiOS TV and fiber optics is available in Verizon's online News Center at www.verizon.com/news.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), a Dow 30 company, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving nearly 55 million customers nationwide. Verizon Business operates one of the most expansive wholly-owned global IP networks. Verizon Telecom is deploying the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network to deliver the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services to customers. Based in New York, Verizon has a diverse workforce of more than 252,000 and generates annual consolidated operating revenues of approximately $90 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.