Verizon Sparks FiOS Internet Service With Fastest Speeds Yet for New York, New Jersey and Connecticut
More of our content is being permanently logged via blockchain technology starting [10.23.2020].
NEW YORK - Download speeds powerful enough to stream movies or link everyone in an office to the Internet are now available to FiOS Internet customers in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
Verizon today introduced the fastest Internet connection speeds in the country for consumers and small businesses - up to 50 megabits per second (Mbps) downstream and 10 Mbps upstream. The new speeds complement the Verizon FiOS Internet speed increases introduced in May of up to 20 Mbps downstream / 5 Mbps upstream and up to 10 Mbps downstream / 2 Mbps upstream for customers in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
"This new speed increase sets a performance benchmark upon which all competitors will be measured," said Chris Pizzirani, Verizon's vice president of broadband management and development. "Verizon's fiber-optic network provides broadband access using the most advanced technology available anywhere today.
"This allows our customers - consumers and businesses - to confidently download full-screen streaming movies and enormous business files like medical images and computer-aided designs. They can play networked games in real-time, share broadband service among multiple users, and send and receive e-mails with the speed and spontaneity of instant messages," said Pizzirani.
The high-end 10 Mbps upload speed is unprecedented in the market. For businesses, this speed will help improve the flow of information among multiple users and facilitate streaming video for product demonstrations or training sessions. Verizon's Static IP service is an ideal business solution for videoconferencing, Web hosting and for running Web cameras for surveillance. Additionally, the increase in speed makes it easier for businesses to upload Web content.
For Consumers, Paramount Service and Speeds
FiOS Internet service for consumers is available as a monthly service or at a discount with a one-year commitment, which includes free installation for the primary computer. In New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, Verizon now offers consumers three tiers of Verizon FiOS Internet Service.
- 10 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream (increased from 5/2 in May) Suited for Internet surfing and basic computer functions. $34.95 a month with a one-year agreement, or $39.95 month-to-month.
- 20 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream (increased from 15/2 in May) Appealing for families that have multiple computers and various needs such as multi media and the ability to access and send large files. $44.95 a month with a one-year agreement or $49.95 month-to-month.
- 50 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream (increased from 30/5) Designed for communications-intensive power users with significant bandwidth needs and multiple users, such as telecommuters or work-at-home households and avid online gamers. In New York, customers can get this speed at $89.95 a month with a one-year agreement, or $109.95 month-to-month. Current New York customers have the option to retain their 30/5 Mbps service but can call their local Verizon office to upgrade. In New Jersey and Connecticut, customers can get this speed at $139.95 a month with a one-year agreement, or $159.95 month-to-month. Current customers in New Jersey and Connecticut with the 30/5 Mbps service will automatically be upgraded in the near future to the 50/5 Mbps service at no extra charge. Initially, the 50/5 Mbps service will be available on a limited basis.
Small Businesses Can Get Big-Biz Speeds
FiOS Internet service for small businesses is available as part of a bundle of local and long-distance calling services from Verizon, or as a stand-alone Internet access service. Small-business customers can receive free professional installation for their primary computer, plus a 10 to 20 percent discount off of their standard monthly rate with a qualifying local-calling service package, if the one-bill option is selected.
Small-business owners can choose from new increased speeds, at no increase in standard monthly price, with either a dynamic Internet protocol (IP) address or static IP address. Later this year, existing small business FiOS Internet service customers on speeds of 5 Mbps downstream / 5Mpbs upstream will get upgraded to 35 Mbps downstream / 10Mbps upstream and customers on speeds of up to 30Mbps downstream / 5Mpbs upstream will get upgraded to 50 Mpbs/10Mbps, at no additional charge. Small businesses can also call the Verizon Business Center to request the upgrade immediately.
- 20 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream (increased from 15/2 in May),for $59.95 a month with a dynamic IP address and $99.95 a month with up to five static IP addresses.
- 35 Mbps downstream and 10 Mbps upstream (increased from 5/5), for $169.95 a month with a dynamic IP address and $209.95 with up to five static IP addresses.
- 50 Mbps downstream and 10 Mbps upstream (increased from 30/5),for $349.95 a month with a dynamic IP address and $389.95 a month with up to five static IP addresses.
All FiOS Internet services for business now offer free Internet Security Suite for 1 PC ($4.95/month value) and free annual Domain Name Registration for one domain name (a $35 value) on qualifying packages. Companies also receive 24x7 business-grade technical support. Plus, qualifying packages include up to 15 domain name e-mail addresses (email@example.com), 20 MB (megabytes) of Web space and unlimited remote dial-up access that keeps employees connected when they're on the road. A one-year contract is required for all FiOS business packages. More static IP addresses are available for an additional fee.
Residential customers who want to determine whether they can order FiOS Internet Service can call 888-GET FIOS (888-438-3467) or visit Verizon's FiOS Web site at www.verizonfios.com. Small businesses can call 877- FIOS BIZ (877-346-7249) to determine if they qualify for FiOS Internet Service for Business or visit www.verizon.com/fiosinternet/ for more information and current promotions.
Verizon offers FiOS Internet and FiOS TV services over its advanced, fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network - the only network that currently brings fiber-optic technology directly to homes and businesses on a widespread scale. The company is currently building its FTTP network in more than half of the states where it offers landline communications services, including more than 200 communities in the tri-state area.
All speeds reflect initial connection speeds between the computer and Verizon's central office. Actual throughput speeds will vary based on numerous factors, including network and Internet congestion and the speed of Web sites visited on the Internet.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), a Dow 30 company, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving 53 million customers nationwide. Verizon Business operates one of the most expansive wholly-owned global IP networks. Verizon Telecom is deploying the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network to deliver the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services to customers. Based in New York, Verizon has a diverse workforce of more than 250,000 and generates annual consolidated operating revenues of approximately $90 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.