Verizon Wireless Enhances The Already Brainy Smartphone With New Mobile Web PlusSM Service
October 24, 2001
Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest wireless provider, today announced its Mobile Web PlusSM service - a powerful wireless email and Internet access service used on the Kyocera QCPTM 6035 smartphone - the Web ready, Palm-powered TM handset that combines a personal digital assistant (PDA) with a wireless phone.
Mobile Web Plus service, the ideal business application designed for the mobile professional, is replete with applications to keep pace with the rapid pace of information exchange. Mobile Web Plus service provides the following applications:
- Access of up to Six Email Accounts - Access and support for up to six POP3 email accounts, so there is no need to create a new one;
- Attachment Preview - Support for Microsoft® Word and Excel, Corel®, WordPerfect® and PDF files gives users the ability to open and forward these attachments when accessing email;
- One Tap®-Easily saves addresses, phone numbers and transfers important information from the Web to the smartphone;
- Blazer Browser-Faster browsing experiences with built-in content streaming formatted specifically for smartphones; and
- Secure Socket Layer Technology-Shopping, stock trades and more can be easily and securely conducted.
"The combination of Verizon Wireless' robust coast-to-coast network and its Mobile Web Plus service is a great tool for companies to increase productivity for their employees who are frequently out of the office," said Gary Schulman, president of the Wireless Data & Internet Services Division at Verizon Wireless. "Not only are we pleased to offer our smartphone customers the best wireless service, but we're especially proud to offer them the most innovative products on the market."
New smartphones sold at any one of the 1,200 Verizon Wireless Communications Stores will be packaged with a Microsoft Windows® and Macintosh®-compatible installation CD, while existing smartphone customers can download the software at no charge at at http://www.verizonwireless.com. Mobile Web Plus service is available with any digital price plan for just $9.95 per month.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the largest wireless communications provider in the U.S. with more than 28.7 million wireless voice and data customers. The coast-to-coast wireless provider was formed by the combination of the U.S. wireless businesses of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD), including Bell Atlantic Mobile, AirTouch Cellular, GTE Wireless and PrimeCo Personal Communications. Verizon Wireless has a footprint covering more than 90 percent of the U.S. population, 49 of the top 50 and 97 of the top 100 U.S. markets. The company, headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, is 40,000 employees strong. Reporters and editors can find more information about the company on the Web at http://www.verizonwireless.com.