Today we’re learning more about our Intelligent Edge network and how it will play into networks of today and in the future. Jeremy sat down with Lee Hicks who’s leading the plan section for the rollout of the network.
Some terms you need to know:
- NGPON2: Next Generation Passive Optical Network 2 is our evolutionary technology for delivering broadband services over fiber optics. It is the successor to our current Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON) platform.
- IOF Transport Network (Unified Transport): This is our going-forward technology used to interconnect infrastructure located in all of our network sites for a given regional area.
- Multi-Service Edge (MSE): The multi-service edge is new equipment that can support multiple services (e.g., IP as well as Ethernet) in a single device, thus eliminating the need for specialized equipment to support specific services.
- Base Network Controller (BNC): The software controller for the Intelligent Edge Network that will coordinate service provisioning and network management. The BNC also reduces multi-vendor complexity, bringing improved speed to market for new services.
- Mesh Topology: A way to interconnect network devices that provides multiple alternative paths for data to travel from source to destination, thereby providing enhanced reliability
- Modern Telemetry: Automated collection of critical real-time information from the network to improve customer service and drive operational efficiency.