IRVINE, CA — Verizon Wireless will offer free educational resources about domestic violence awareness and efforts to support prevention at the 2001 Governor's Conference for Women, to be held October 11, at the Long Beach Convention Center. In support of Domestic Violence Awareness month, Verizon Wireless also is asking event patrons to donate their used wireless phones at its exhibit in Booth 307 (located near the main exhibit hall entrance).
The materials available at Verizon Wireless booth will include domestic violence awareness posters and literature that communicate the negative ripple effects of domestic violence and encourage prevention. The posters will be available for free in English and Spanish, at the conference, or by calling Verizon Wireless at (949) 286-8151.
The phones collected at the conference will be sent to a recycling center through Verizon Wireless' HopeLineSM program, and enable Verizon Wireless to donate wireless phones and airtime to more victims of domestic violence through human services and law enforcement agencies. In addition, all of the company's Communications Stores in California are collecting phones throughout October, which will benefit victims of domestic violence through the HopeLineSM program. All makes and models of wireless phones are accepted, along with accessories and batteries.
During October, nationally recognized as Domestic Violence Awareness Month, Verizon Wireless is awarding a total of $212,500 to approximately 30 organizations in California. The outreach is part of Verizon Wireless' ongoing, nationwide campaign to promote awareness and prevention efforts within the communities it serves.
About Verizon Wireless' National Poster Campaign
Sponsored by Verizon Wireless, the three posters in the series, feature black and white photos of women who cover their scars and bruises with sunglasses or a turtleneck sweater. The posters speak to three audiences:
- Corporate leaders: Stressing that domestic violence undoubtedly affects the business and encourages them to prepare their workplace to help those in abusive relationships.
- Co-workers: Urging colleagues to help victims of domestic violence get the assistance they need.
- Victims: Assuring that their company will support them in getting help.
Working with its advertising agency Bozell New York to design the posters, Verizon Wireless funded the costs of photography and production.
Facts About Domestic Violence in the United States
Domestic violence is a serious problem in the United States. Studies show that:
- There are approximately 960,000 incidents of domestic violence each year (U.S. Department of Justice)
- More than 175,000 workdays are lost each year because of domestic violence (Society for Human Resource Management)
- American companies lose about $5 billion every year in increased medical costs associated with battered employees (National Victim Center)
- 17 to 20 percent of women killed in the workplace are murdered by spouses or boyfriends (U.S. Department of Labor studies)
- 31 percent of American women have been physically or sexually abused by a spouse or boyfriend during their lifetime (Commonwealth Fund)
- 50% of domestic violence victims who are working women miss three days of work per month as a result of the violence (Bureau of National Affairs)
- Partners and boyfriends commit more than 13,000 acts of violence against women in the workplace every year (United States Department of Justice)
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the largest wireless communications provider in the U.S. with more than 28.7 million wireless voice and data customers. The coast-to-coast wireless provider was formed by the combination of the U.S. wireless businesses of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD), including Bell Atlantic Mobile, AirTouch Cellular, GTE Wireless and PrimeCo Personal Communications. Verizon Wireless has a footprint covering more than 90 percent of the U.S. population, 49 of the top 50 and 97 of the top 100 U.S. markets. The company, headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, is 40,000 employees strong. Reporters and editors can find more information about the company on the Web at http://www.verizonwireless.com.