WOBURN, MA — Domestic violence is a year-round issue. Surveys indicate that approximately one-third of women in the United States have suffered abuse from a loved one.* During October, National Domestic Violence Awareness month, Verizon Wireless continues its commitment to domestic violence awareness and prevention through various donations and programs both nationally and throughout New England.
Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest wireless carrier, is a corporate leader in the fight against domestic violence. It has implemented programs within its workplace to raise awareness and provide assistance to employees. Throughout the year, the company supports both local and national organizations, which provide education, outreach and direct assistance to victims and families. And through its HopeLineSM Program, Verizon Wireless collects used wireless phones and donates new phones to victims of domestic violence through human services and law enforcement agencies.
In addition to its previous work with organizations throughout New England, the company is announcing several donations and initiatives this month. For example:
- Boston: the company is donating $1,500 to The Asian Task Force, supporting the organization's battered women's shelter and educational programs
- Milton, MA: the company is partnering with students and alumni from Curry College, who are collecting used wireless phones to donate to the company's Hopeline program.
- Vermont: the company has donated $7,000 to the Vermont Network Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, supporting a statewide educational campaign on teen dating violence.
- Connecticut: Verizon Wireless' Customer Call Center in New Haven County are collecting household goods to donate to Chrysallis, the Wallingford-Meriden Domestic Violence Center, and The Domestic Violence Sevices of Greater New Haven.
- Waterbury and Fairfield Counties, CT: Verizon Wireless will offer "Invest in Yourself " seminars to domestic violence victims, providing instruction and advice on employment, resume writing and interviewing.
Verizon Wireless is also addressing domestic violence as a serious business issue. According to the Family Violence Prevention Fund, 37 percent of domestic violence victims say abuse at home directly impacts their work performance. The company has implemented programs allowing employees to reach out discreetly and ask for help or express concern for co-workers. Human Resources departments are equipped with the information and authority to respond appropriately and effectively.
Through its HopeLine program, Verizon Wireless puts its own wireless products and services into the hands of victims to help get their lives back on track. The company has donated thousands of wireless phones, pre-programmed to dial 9-1-1 and one other emergency number, in the event of an encounter with an abuser. Voice mailboxes are also donated to individuals in shelters, allowing for private communication with family members and potential employers and landlords without the abuser's knowledge.
"As a company, we realize the business impact of domestic violence, and have taken progressive steps to ensure the well-being of our employees. And as people who live and work throughout New England, we are proud to support organizations that make a difference by promoting domestic violence awareness and prevention in our communities," said Bob Stott, president for Verizon Wireless' New England Region.
*The Commonwealth Fund, Health Concerns Across a Woman's Lifespan: 1998 Survey of Women's Health, May 1999
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the largest wireless communications provider in the U.S. with more than 28.7 million wireless voice and data customers. The coast-to-coast wireless provider was formed by the combination of the U.S. wireless businesses of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD), including Bell Atlantic Mobile, AirTouch Cellular, GTE Wireless and PrimeCo Personal Communications. Verizon Wireless has a footprint covering more than 90 percent of the U.S. population, 49 of the top 50 and 97 of the top 100 U.S. markets. The company, headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, is 40,000 employees strong. Reporters and editors can find more information about the company on the Web at http://www.verizonwireless.com.