SAN ANTONIO, TX — To enhance network quality and wireless coverage across Texas, Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest wireless service provider, activated five new cell towers in the San Antonio area in the fourth quarter of 2003. The new towers will provide customers with improved wireless coverage and capacity, faster data transfer rates, and fewer dropped calls when using a Verizon Wireless handset or data device.
In 2003, the company invested $194 million and activated a total of 217 new towers in Texas, providing customers with access to the most extensive wireless voice and data network in the United States. Over the past three years, Verizon Wireless has invested $12 billion nationwide in network improvements.
"We've seen strong wireless growth in San Antonio, and the activation of these new cell towers in the area reflects our dedication to anticipating the demands on our wireless network and providing the highest overall quality of service to our customers," said David McCarley, executive director of network for Verizon Wireless' Texas region.
The following cell towers were added to enhance coverage in and around San Antonio:
- Located at the San Antonio Country Club, the new cell tower will provide coverage near Harry Wurzbach Road and Terril Road northwest of Fort Sam.
- A new cell tower will enhance coverage on Highway 87 between Comfort and Fredericksburg.
- Located in the community of Ingram on Highway 27 and Highway 39, a new cell tower will provide coverage between Hunt and Kerrville.
- A new tower will enhance coverage on Highway 37 between Cambelton and Whitsett.
- To maximize coverage, a new tower was activated on Interstate 10 between Comfort and Boerne.
"We continue to make significant investments in our network because our customers tell us that network quality is the number one reason they choose Verizon Wireless," said McCarley. "Superior network quality is even more important now that customers can switch wireless service providers and take their number with them."
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless is the nation's leading provider of wireless communications. The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice and data network and 37.5 million customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To receive broadcast-quality video footage of Verizon Wireless operations, log onto www.thenewsmarket.com.####