BEDMINSTER, NJ and LOS ANGELES, CA — Verizon Wireless, the nation's leading wireless provider, and MFORMA Group Inc., a leading global publisher and distributor of mobile entertainment content, announced today that MFORMA is providing 15 new information and lifestyle channels for Verizon Wireless' newly expanded Mobile Web 2.0SM service that allows customers to more easily access the latest news, tools and information. New MFORMA applications include mobile versions of highly popular Internet sites including CBS SportsLine.com, leading sports Internet site from SportsLine.com; IntelliChoice.com and About.com from PRIMEDIA, Inc., a leading targeted media company; and AstrologyZone by Susan Miller, the world-renowned astrologer. MFORMA's new services give Verizon Wireless Mobile Web 2.0 customers quick and easy access to sought after information in a format tailor made for mobile phones.
"We designed these services with a focus on taking popular Internet destinations and extending them to wireless," said Matt Edelman, MFORMA's senior vice president of publishing. "We've covered the spectrum of information, such as travel, sports, car buying, movies, health, shopping, astrology, and celebrity news and created the biggest and most useful collection of mobile info and lifestyle services we've ever provided."
To create the mobile information and lifestyle services for Verizon Wireless' Mobile Web 2.0 launch, MFORMA worked with leading brand owners and added three of its own original creations, (M)Home Style, (M)Showbiz, and J Jokes to round out the diverse suite of offerings:
- IntelliChoice Mobile. Compare, research, configure and price automobiles while accessing buying alternatives, dealer and manufacturer databases, and online buying services -- including quotes, best deals and dealer locaters.
- CBS SportsLine Mobile. Enjoy the wireless hub to SportsLine.com; get up-to-the minute sports scores and news, including league info, stats, box scores, schedules and standings, headlines, detailed stories, play-by-play information for all games in progress, trade and injury reports.
- AstrologyZone Mobile. The mobile extension to the most popular astrology site on the web. Access daily horoscopes and forecasts from famed astrologer Susan Miller.
- About Food. Learn the science behind cooking and baking; find step-by-step directions for working with various ingredients and appliances and recipes; get information on healthy eating, low carb or low fat diets, quick meals and recipes from around the globe.
- About Health. Get news and information on leading health issues such as allergies, alternative medicine, exercise, stress, weight loss or women's health.
- About Movies. Get the latest news on the latest films and Hollywood stars and search for movie and times by category: action/adventure, anime, classics, comedy, drama, romance, home video/DVD or international.
- About Shopping. Access helpful shopping tips three ways -- before you buy, top picks or reviews -- or search for bargains by category: electronics, games, sporting goods, fashion, food & drink.
- About Soaps. Stay up-to-date on your favorite daytime dramas, including "Days of our Lives," "General Hospital," "One Life to Live." About Soaps is your daily resource for news, spoilers and updates.
- About Style. Stay current with the latest fashion and design trends and read informational articles from the experts on interior design, beauty, fashion, jewelry or style for men.
- About Travel. Find first hand advice to help plan any trip and search by region of the world or by category, budget travel or business travel.
- About Games. Get news, reviews, and top ten lists for the hottest wireless games and console games.
- About Autos. Make car-buying decisions by reading current headlines from the automotive industry, detailed listings and reviews searchable by car/style/class and check specifications and the pros and cons of body styles.
- (M)Showbiz. Get the latest entertainment news, including celebrity gossip, weekly box office reports, and move reviews. Read about what's hot, hook-ups, break-ups, sightings, new releases, and TV news -- including top picks, reality, sitcoms and dramas.
- (M)Home Style. Find information to organize and beautify your house and garden; get tips on decorating, home improvement, cleaning, space design and gardening; find stores and information.
- J Jokes. Get access to tons of the funniest jokes to put a smile on your face every day of the year. Share with friends, family, and co-workers, or keep them for yourself.
Verizon Wireless customers with Mobile Web 2.0-capable handsets can access MFORMA's new information and lifestyle services from their mobile phones under News & Info on the new Mobile Web 2.0 home screen.
Mobile Web 2.0 is self provisioning, eliminating the need for customers to call customer service or visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store to sign up for the service. Customers simply register for Mobile Web 2.0 on their Mobile Web 2.0-capable handset and get subscription-based premium content right from their wireless handsets. Mobile Web 2.0 is available for $4.99 monthly access, plus airtime.
Verizon Wireless' Mobile Web 2.0 is initially available on the new LG VX7000 camera phone and on the LG VX4500. The LG VX7000 is available for $179.99 after a $70 mail-in rebate with a two-year customer agreement; the LG VX4500 is available for $89.99 with a two-year customer agreement after a $30 mail-in rebate.
Verizon Wireless products and services are available in more than 1,200 Verizon Wireless Communications Stores, at participating Circuit City and RadioShack locations and on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless is the nation's leading provider of wireless communications. The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice and data network and 40 million customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE:VOD)(LSE:VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To receive broadcast-quality video footage of Verizon Wireless operations, log onto www.thenewsmarket.com/verizonwireless.
About Mobile WebMobile Web 2.0 gives Verizon Wireless customers access to news, tools and information from the nation's top content providers. The simple, intuitive format makes it easy to access content from many categories, including News, Sports, Weather, Entertainment, Business, Email and More. Mobile Web 2.0 is self provisioning, eliminating the need for customers to call customer service or visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store to sign up for the service.
About MFORMA Group, Inc. MFORMA is a leading global provider of wireless entertainment content. MFORMA provides wireless operators and their customers with the world's best content and brands, and provides developers and brand owners with the shortest route to market. MFORMA's customers include more than 60 of the world's leading wireless carriers. In addition to the industry's most comprehensive catalog of BREW, Java, SMS, MMS, and WAP games, MFORMA also provides sports, lifestyle, and information services subscription products. MFORMA's carrier-grade platform manages the delivery of downloadable games and applications for some of the world's largest carriers. With MFORMA, wireless operators can choose to utilize any or all of the MFORMA resources -- tools, platforms and/or content. MFORMA is headquartered in Kirkland, Washington, USA with facilities in Los Angeles; San Diego; Cambridge, England; and Seoul, Korea. www.mforma.com.####