PITTSBURGH, PA — Verizon Wireless has upgraded fifteen cell sites throughout the city of Pittsburgh to improve wireless service for its growing number of customers in nearly every section of the city.
Network coverage and capacity has been improved in the following locations:
- on the North Side of Pittsburgh-north of the Allegheny River
- on Market Square-in the center of downtown Pittsburgh
- on the South Side of Pittsburgh-at the intersection of Third Avenue and Terminal Way
- in Bloomfield-near the former St. Francis building, east of downtown Pittsburgh
- in Oakland-near the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University campuses
- in Manchester-near PNC Park and Heinz Field · in the Strip District-near the Convention Center, adjacent to downtown Pittsburgh
- on Stanwix Street-in downtown Pittsburgh
- in the West End of Pittsburgh-west of the downtown area, across the river from Manchester
"Now, our customers in these areas will experience fewer dropped calls and clearer reception while talking on their wireless phones, handling data applications such as TXT and Picture Messaging, or downloading games and ringtones with our Get It Now® services," said Roger Tangpresident, Ohio/Pennsylvania Region, Verizon Wireless.
The enhancements to these cell sites are part of Verizon Wireless' continuous effort to increase capacity and augment the quality of its wireless voice and data network in Pennsylvania and across the country. Already in 2004, the company has spent a quarter of a billion dollars to enhance its Pennsylvania network. And, nationally each year it invests about $1 billion every 90 days to improve and expand what is already the most extensive wireless network in the United States.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless is the nation's leading provider of wireless communications. The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice and data network and 40.4 million customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To receive broadcast-quality video footage of Verizon Wireless operations, log onto www.thenewsmarket.com/verizonwireless.####