OVERLAND PARK, KS — Verizon Wireless announced today it has activated 20 new cell sites and enhanced two cell sites in Kansas City and the surrounding area, improving coverage in locations that include the Kansas City International Airport, H. Roe Bartle Hall and the Kansas Speedway.
The network enhancements are part of a $91 million planned investment in 2004 to improve the company's wireless network in the Kansas/Missouri Region. The upgrades give Verizon Wireless customers added assurance that the network will support their calls and increased use of newer data services such as TXT and Picture Messaging and Get It Now® services.
"A wireless phone is only as good as the network it uses," said Mark Crumpton, presidentKansas/Missouri Region, Verizon Wireless. "We know our customers want network reliability and superiority, and we continue to give it to them by investing in hardware and technology that ensures call clarity and reliability for both voice and data."
Network improvements were made in the following locations around the Kansas City metro area:
Northland and Downtown
- North Kansas City-A new site in the North Kansas City Hospital area will enhance coverage along Highway 210 in the Northland, and the interchange of highways 210 and 291.
- Kansas City International Airport-Improved coverage inside KCI's three terminals now enables more travelers to access the network concurrently.
- Bartle Hall-Enhancements to the Bartle Hall cell site enable more customers inside and around the building to use the network simultaneously. The site enhancements also include the installation of a permanent backup generator for added protection in case of catastrophic weather events, national emergencies or natural disasters.
South of the Metro Area
- Harrisonville-Cell site improvements include adding network capacity, as well as a permanent backup generator. The improvements will increase capacity along the well-traveled Highway 71.
- Cleveland-A newly activated site increases coverage in and around the Cleveland area.
- Interstate 35-Network enhancements improve network coverage between Olathe and Ottawa along the Interstate 35 corridor.
West of the Metro Area
- Kansas Speedway-Racecar enthusiasts will notice increased coverage around the Kansas Speedway in Wyandotte County.
- Lawrence-Network enhancements provide additional network capacity to the University of Kansas campus.
- Highway 24-Network improvements between Kansas City and Lawrence provide coverage to Basehor, South Basehor and Tonganoxie.
East of the Metro Area
- Interstate 70-Travelers along Interstate 70 will notice network improvements between Kansas City and Odessa.
During the past four years, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $16 billion in its national network, offering customers access to the most reliable wireless voice and data network in the United States. The company continues to invest in its network to stay ahead of the growing demand for Verizon Wireless products and services in Kansas and Missouri.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 42.1 million voice and data customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To receive broadcast-quality video footage of Verizon Wireless operations, log onto www.thenewsmarket.com/verizonwireless.####