GREENVILLE, SC — Verizon Wireless, the nation's most reliable wireless network, donated more than $195,000 in cash and services to over 20 North Carolina community organizations in 2004. Contributions from the company's HopeLineSM program and Verizon Foundation funded technology initiatives, literacy, education programs and organizations and efforts aimed at putting an end to domestic violence.
"At Verizon Wireless, we are serious about investing in the communities our customers and employees live and work," said Jerry Fountain, President, Verizon Wireless Carolinas/Tennessee Region. "We invest in and team with organizations that focus on literacy and education initiatives, technology and work force development programs and domestic violence awareness and prevention. We believe that through our support and contributions, Verizon Wireless can help make North Carolina a better place to live and work."
Some North Carolina Organizations Who Have Received Support from Verizon Wireless in 2004:
- AMBUCS (High Point, NC)
- North Carolina Museum of Art
- Durham Health Partners (Durham, NC)
- Durham Public Education Network (Durham, NC)
- Triangle Radio Reading Service (Greensboro, NC)
- Carolina Theatre of Durham (Durham, NC)
- Triangle United Way (Greensboro, NC)
- North Carolina Museum of Life and Science
- American Red Cross- Asheville Chapter
- North Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- YWCA of the Central Carolinas (Charlotte, NC)
- The Health Adventure (Asheville, NC)
- American Heart Association- Wilmington
- The Family Violence Prevention Center (Chapel Hill, NC)
- Domestic Abuse is Not Acceptable (DANA) (Sparta, NC)
- Cabarrus Victims Assistance Network (Cabarrus, NC)
- Community Services of Mecklenburg County (Charlotte, NC)
- Wake Smiles (Raleigh, NC)
- Computer Empowerment (Harrisburg, NC)
- Jackson County Family Service Center, Webster, NC
- Mountain Area Child and Family Center, Asheville, NC
- The Wilmington Children's Museum, Wilmington, NC
"This generous grant from Verizon Wireless has allowed us to build and create heightened awareness about domestic violence, an important and often ignored issue in our society," says Mary Beth Loucks-Sorrell, Executive Director of the North Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence. " Through the donation, we've been able to help support and strengthen our network of non-profit domestic violence agencies throughout North Carolina in 2004."
Pam Burleson, The President of the Piedmont AMBUCSTM Chapter, a national not-for-profit agency headquartered in High Point, NC, that is dedicated to creating mobility and independence for people with disabilities, stated, "With the help of corporations like Verizon Wireless, we are able to provide special tricycles to children with disabilities ultimately building self-esteem and assisting with muscle development while helping children experience the fun of riding."
For additional information on Verizon Wireless community relations programs in North Carolina, please visit www.verizonwireless.com/foundation.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 43.8 million voice and data customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To receive broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About HopeLine Verizon Wireless, a recognized corporate leader in the fight against domestic violence, works to combat domestic violence and raise awareness of the issue through the company's HopeLine program. Marking its 10th year in 2005, HopeLine today collects wireless phones and accessories from any wireless service provider, and then refurbishes the phones or recycles them in an environmentally friendly way. Proceeds from the HopeLine program benefit victims of domestic violence and non-profit advocacy agencies, providing essential communication tools of wireless phones and wireless services, and financial grants. Phone donations are accepted at all 1,200-plus Verizon Wireless Stores across the country. For additional information, please visit www.verizonwireless.com/hopeline.####