WALNUT CREEK, CA — Residents and visitors in California are now experiencing additional wireless coverage, thanks to Verizon Wireless' recent addition of 23 new cell sites in California. The new sites have helped to increase coverage and call capacity in the following areas:
- Apple Valley along Highway 18 and Central Avenue
- Byron along the commute route from Byron to Livermore
- Camp Pendleton along Rattlesnake Canyon Road
- Chico in the south Chico area
- Clayton along the eastern end of Clayton's residential area
- Elk Grove in the Stone Lake area along Sprock Road
- Fontana along Banana Avenue Hayward near the
- Hayward Executive Airport
- Indio along Avenue 38
- Lytle Creek along Lytle Creek Canyon Road
- along Los Alamos Road
- along Elm Street
- Northridge along Plummer Street near the university and Northridge Fashion Center
- Sacramento around Deterding Park and the intersection of Watt Avenue and Arden Way
- San Bernardino northeast of the Interstate 215 and Highway 30 interchange
- San Francisco around the Hunter's Point neighborhood and the shipyard
- San Jose around the south San Jose area
- Santa Clarita along Lyons Avenue
- Santa Cruz at the University of California Santa Cruz campus
- Stockton within Stockton, including Stockton Christian School
- Venice along South 4th Avenue
- West Hollywood surrounding the intersection of Santa Monica Boulevard and Gardner Street
Most reliable wireless network in the nation
- Deployment of a Cell on Wheels (COW) mobile cell site to provide temporary wireless communications service to the Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Facility located in Vacaville, California.
- Deployment of a Cell on Light Truck (COLT) mobile cell site to provide wireless communications service to the World Ag Expo in Tulare, California.
New wireless technologies Expansion of the company's wireless broadband network in the state means more customers have access to innovative new services based on Global Positioning System (GPS) data. ChaperoneSM gives parents new tools to help identify the whereabouts of phones they've given to their young children. VZ NavigatorSM provides wireless turn-by-turn driving directions, maps and addresses. And Field Force Manager allows businesses to map the location of field employees and jobs in near real-time.
"Reliable networks are not built overnight," said Rich Garwood, regional president of Verizon Wireless. "Because our California customers are among the most tech savvy in the nation, Verizon Wireless continues to invest in its network so that we can deliver the reliable and innovative services our customers want."
The company's investment in its California network now totals more than $4 billion since 2000.
Nationally, Verizon Wireless' real-life test men and women drive approximately 98 specially equipped vehicles nearly one million miles each year on Interstate, U.S. and state highways as well as major roads and surface streets in high-population areas, based upon U.S. Census counts, to test network performance, call quality and data network performance. Vehicles are equipped with computers that automatically make more than three million voice call attempts and more than 16 million data tests annually on Verizon Wireless' network and the networks of other carriers.
About the company's commitment: Verizon Wireless recently introduced its 30-day Test Drive, an industry first that lets customers experience its network virtually risk-free for 30 days. If customers are not satisfied with their experience and take their number to another carrier, Verizon Wireless will refund their money for calls, equipment, activation fee and taxes. Verizon Wireless is committed to offering quality products and services on the nation's most reliable wireless network and top-quality customer service at more than 2,000 Verizon Wireless stores nationwide, including Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and Verizon Wireless Stores at Circuit City. Customers can also shop and get account information by calling 1-800-2 JOIN IN or by going online at www.verizonwireless.com.
EDITOR'S NOTES: For network cell site images go to www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
Test Man/Woman Ride-Along Program Specially equipped Verizon Wireless test vehicles simultaneously test seven wireless providers, using a computerized program to generate phonically diverse "conversations" as well as data transmissions. Members of the media who are interested in setting up an interview ride-along with a local member of the Verizon Wireless team of real-life test men and women, are invited to contact Heidi Flato (925-279-6545) or Ken Muche (949-286-8193).
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving more than 59 million customers. The largest US wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 65,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.####