BASKING RIDGE, NJ — Whether planning a camping trip, a hike through the mountains or a quiet get-a-way weekend, Verizon Wireless customers who love the outdoors can depend on their wireless phones to stay connected in more outdoor destinations across the U.S. this summer.
Recent network enhancements have increased network coverage and calling capacity for Verizon Wireless customers at popular summer destinations:
In the Northeast:
- Maine Verizon Wireless expanded its network with a new cell site in Portland, Maine's international airport. The new site is designed to provide coverage to the Portland International Jetport, including terminals, parking garage, tarmac and the surrounding area.
- Maryland Verizon Wireless added more network capacity in Ocean City, Maryland, a popular spot for beachgoers and boaters.
- Massachusetts/Rhode Island To prepare for the increased demand over the summer, Verizon Wireless has added additional calling capacity along the shores of Rhode Island, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.
- Upstate New York Verizon Wireless turned on new cell sites at big summer vacation spots in Upstate New York, including Old Forge, Lake George and Six Flags Darien Lake.
- Virginia Verizon Wireless has deployed a temporary cell site in Colonial Williamsburg to handle the extra seasonal visitor traffic there.
In the Midwest:
- Indiana Verizon Wireless increased its network capacity by 33 percent and data capacity by 100 percent for the "greatest spectacle in racing," which takes place annually in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Ohio Cedar Point Amusement Park visitors can expect to receive reliable coverage with the expansion of Verizon Wireless' Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) third generation (3G) wide-area network.
- South Dakota Two new cell sites have been added to the South Dakota Black Hills vacation area to improve network coverage and capacity for tourists.
In the South:
- Oklahoma Verizon Wireless added cell sites in the Grand Lakes area, a popular vacation area in Oklahoma.
- North Carolina Verizon Wireless has beefed up its network capacity at some of the biggest tourist destinations in North Carolina including: Ocean Island Beach, Outer Banks, Pine Knoll Shores and enhanced coverage on Atlantic Beach and Havelock.
- South Carolina Verizon Wireless has enhanced its network in popular destinations in South Carolina including Charleston and Hilton Head.
- Tennessee Verizon Wireless has added a new cell site at Lookout Mountain and Lichterman Nature Center.
In the West:
- Hawaii Wireless users in Hawaii are now experiencing increased coverage on Maui, including the western portion of Kapalua and Pineapple Hill, the northern portion of Honopiilani Highway and surrounding area, thanks to a new Verizon Wireless cell site.
- Oregon Verizon Wireless expanded its digital network in Southern Oregon, including the popular vacation jump-off spot of Bend, Oregon.
Verizon Wireless customers can be confident that their network will keep the flow of calls and messages going throughout the summer and beyond. Verizon Wireless has invested $37 billion in the last seven years $5 billion on average every year since the company was formed to increase the coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services.
For more information about Verizon Wireless, visit www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving more than 60.7 million customers. The largest US wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 66,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.####