WALNUT CREEK, CA — Verizon Wireless customers in more Northern California locations can now get e-mail, real-time corporate data, access to the Internet and much more at faster speeds. As the company rolls out its high-speed broadband network today, coverage now extends to:
- Humboldt County New locations seeing EV-DO for the first time include Eureka and surrounding communities including Crescent City, Requa, Orick, McKinleyville, Arcata, Humboldt State University, Fortuna, and Weott.
- Butte, Yuba and Sutter Counties Including the Interstate 5 corridor between Sacramento and Chico.
- Fresno, Kings, Madera, Merced, and Tulare Counties Including Madera, Merced, Firebaugh, Dos Palos, Los Banos, Mendota, Oakhurst, Orange Cove, Lemon Cove, Woodlake, Prather, Chowchilla, Atwater, Gustine, Hilmar, Kerman, Coalinga, Avenal, Kettleman City, Livingston, and Delhi.
- Kern County Along Highway 58 and Interstate 5 including Bear Valley Springs, Mojave, Rosamond, Tehachapi, Taft, McKittrick, Lone Pine, and Bishop.
- Sacramento County Between Interstate 80 and Highway 50 corridors between East Sacramento and Reno, including Lake Tahoe, north of Auburn to Reno and Highway 50 east beyond Placerville.
- San Joaquin County Between Sacramento and Stockton and Modesto along Interstate 5 and SR99, including Galt and Lodi.
Based on CDMA 1x Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) Revision A (Rev. A) technology, the expanded wireless broadband network provides Verizon Wireless customers with data uplink speeds significantly faster than the company's award-winning national EV-DO network, which the company first launched in Northern California in June 2006.
"Our broadband network expansion has something for everyone on-the-go," said Rich Garwood, regional president of Verizon Wireless. "BroadbandAccess lets our business customers experience a truly untethered mobile office experience with remote access to corporate data on their laptops and e-mail on their PDAs. With V CAST, consumers can enjoy a comprehensive selection of downloadable music, high-quality videos and exciting 3D games."
BroadbandAccess: The wireless data solutionThe company's flagship business data service, BroadbandAccess, provides average download speeds of 600 kilobits per second (kbps) to 1.4 megabits and average upload speeds of 500-800 kbps. This means customers with Rev. A-compatible devices can download a 1 Megabyte e-mail attachment -- the equivalent of a small PowerPoint® presentation or a large PDF file -- in about eight seconds and upload the same-sized file in less than 13 seconds.
Verizon Wireless offers several BroadbandAccess devices for the company's wireless broadband network. These devices are fully compatible with the company's NationalAccess network (based on CDMA 1xRTT technology), giving customers the ability to remain connected if they travel outside of the wireless broadband coverage area.
V CAST: Video, Music, 3D gamesThe company's high-speed network also enables its V CAST multimedia services, offering customers the ability to download full-song tracks, play cutting-edge 3D games and stream video clips on breaking news, sports, and entertainment straight to their phones. Content is updated daily.
Coverage Verizon Wireless was the first national wireless provider to commercially launch a high-speed wireless broadband network in the United States. Today, its entire nationwide wireless broadband network has been enhanced to Rev. A technology and reaches more than two-thirds of the U.S. population -- more than 210 million people.
For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 62.1 million customers. The largest U.S. wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 67,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.####