LOUISVILLE, KY — Verizon Wireless announced today it invested more than $38 million in 2007 to enhance its digital network in Kentucky. The enhancements included building new and upgrading existing cell sites, increasing coverage area and expanding its high-speed wireless broadband network to many new markets.
"Our mission in 2008 is to continue perfecting our network so that our customers can depend on us every time they pick up their wireless phones," said Greg Haller, president Kentucky/Indiana/Michigan region, Verizon Wireless.
Since the company was formed in 2000, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $221 million on improvements to its network in Kentucky, including the following upgrades made in 2007:
- Twenty-six new cell sites were activated statewide to improve network coverage and capacity, enabling more customers to use their phones concurrently to make calls; send and receive e-mail and text, picture and video messages; download music, games and ringtones; and view high-quality videos while enjoying clearer reception and fewer dropped calls. Equipment on 56 existing cell sites throughout the state was upgraded, which further improved network capacity.
- Permanent backup generators were installed at 10 existing Kentucky cell sites to ensure network functionality during times of crisis.
- The company expanded its high-speed wireless broadband network to 33 cell sites across Kentucky, including the following new markets: Madisonville, Nicholasville and Paducah. With the upgraded network, Verizon Wireless customers are enjoying two prime services:
- BroadbandAccess, the enhanced high-speed wireless service that equips Verizon Wireless' business customers with a truly untethered mobile office experience, enabling them to wirelessly access their calendars, the Internet, email and critical business information residing behind their companies' firewalls; and
- V CAST, a consumer-oriented multimedia service that gives customers access to the most comprehensive selection of downloadable music, high-quality videos and the coolest 3D games found anywhere.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 63.7 million customers. The largest U.S. wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 68,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.####