TREVOSE, PA — Verizon Wireless announced today it has invested more than $235 million in 2007 to enhance its network in Pennsylvania. The enhancements included building new and upgrading existing cell sites, increasing coverage area and expanding its high-speed wireless broadband network to many new markets.
"Our mission in 2008 is to continue perfecting our network so that our customers can depend on us every time they pick up their wireless phones," said Christine Baron, president of Verizon Wireless' Philadelphia region.
Since the company was formed in 2000, Verizon Wireless has invested nearly $1.5 billion on improvements to its network in Pennsylvania, including the following upgrades in 2007:
- 92 new cell sites were activated statewide to improve network coverage and capacity, enabling more customers to use their phones concurrently to make calls; send and receive email and text, picture and video messages; download music, games and ringtones; and view high-quality videos while enjoying clearer reception and fewer dropped calls.
- 276 equipment upgrades were made to existing cell sites throughout the state, which further improved network capacity.
- 41 permanent backup generators were installed at Pennsylvania cell sites to ensure network functionality during times of crisis.
- The company expanded its high-speed wireless broadband network to 231 cell sites across Pennsylvania. With the upgraded network, Verizon Wireless customers are enjoying two key services:
- BroadbandAccess, the enhanced high-speed wireless service that equips Verizon Wireless' business customers with a truly untethered mobile office experience, enabling them to wirelessly access their calendars, the Internet, E-mail and critical business information residing behind their companies' firewalls; and
- V CAST, a consumer-oriented multimedia service that gives customers access to the most comprehensive selection of downloadable music, high-quality videos and the coolest 3-D games found anywhere.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 65.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 69,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to: www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.####