SALT LAKE CITY, UT — From north to south and east to west, Utahans are making more wireless calls and data transmissions thanks to Verizon Wireless' $70 million network investment in 2007. That's an average of more than $191 thousand per day spent to provide customers in the state with the reliable, high quality service they expect from Verizon Wireless.
The company's ongoing network investment now totals more than $300 million in Utah and $44 billion nationally over the past seven years. The investment delivers enhanced coverage, call quality, network reliability and new services to enable customers to get more done wirelessly.
The investment includes adding 19 new cell sites, updating many others and further improving backup power capabilities. The multi-million dollar investment also includes the expansion of the company's Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) broadband wireless data network to Cedar City, Hurricane, Logan and Nephi.
More specifically the network investments made last year in Utah are delivering:
Expanded coverage and call capacity
- 19 new cell sites throughout the state, including those that improved coverage in the communities of Moab, Oakley and along the I-70 corridor and the Salt Lake valley.
- Network enhancements to keep ahead of the growth in the number of voice and data calls happening at the same time.
- Verizon Wireless' network technicians (who serve as the inspiration for the famous "It's the Network" ad campaign) traveled approximately 15,000 miles across the state last year. The technicians measure the quality of voice and data calls on the Verizon Wireless network and on other carriers' networks.
- Deployment of a Cell on Wheels (COW) mobile cell site to provide wireless communications service to assist emergency crews at the Huntington Canyon mine disaster last summer.
- A brand new 27,000 square foot state-of-the-art switching center near Salt Lake City that processes voice and data communications for customers who live in and travel throughout Utah.
- Additional generators and other equipment to provide backup power in the event of a commercial power failure.
- More customers can now access high-speed wireless Internet, e-mail, mobile music and more. The high speed data network that enables both BroadbandAccess and V CAST services.
- Verizon Wireless launched V CAST Mobile TV in Salt Lake City, giving residents the freedom to leave their homes and still keep up with many of their favorite TV programs while on-the-go.
- The network expansion supported the introductions of many new wireless devices giving customers a comprehensive selection of music, multimedia, e-mail and voice services. In the fourth quarter the company introduced four flagship devices: the Juke by Samsung, the Venus by LG and The Voyager by LG, exclusive to Verizon Wireless; and the BlackBerry® Pearl smartphone.