Verizon Wireless Offers Tips To Help Customers Travel Safely And Drive Responsibly This Summer
BASKING RIDGE, NJ — With the busiest travel season nearly upon us, Verizon Wireless reminds customers who choose to talk on a wireless phone while driving to do so responsibly and safely when travelling over the next few months and all year long.
Drivers should use common sense and obey all vehicular laws if they choose to talk on a wireless phone while driving, whether across town or across the country. Verizon Wireless offers the following reminders for using a wireless phone or service responsibly while driving:
- When behind the wheel, safe and responsible driving is always your first priority.
- Using a wireless phone while driving may increase your risk of distraction, whether or not you use a hands-free device. To eliminate this risk, consider turning your phone off and allowing calls to go to voice mail.
- If you choose to talk and drive, always use a hands-free device. Make sure your hands-free device is on and working before you begin driving.
- Turn your phone to speakerphone or use a headset. Many phones have speakerphone capability. Headset models available from Verizon Wireless range from Bluetooth® devices for individual use, or car mount, to hands-free ear buds compatible with devices from many wireless providers.
- Do not manually dial or look up phone numbers when driving. Pre-program important and frequently dialed numbers and use the voice-activated and speed-dialing features of your phone.
- Never view or send text or multi-media messages or video downloads while driving.
- If you're taking advantage of any navigation service, including VZ Navigator(SM), program the address into your phone — either directly to the handset or online — before you leave the curb; then you'll need only to listen to the directions.
- Do not engage in complex, stressful or emotional calls while driving.
- The risk of using a wireless phone while driving may be increased during hazardous traffic or weather conditions. When driving in these conditions, consider turning your phone off and allowing calls to go to voice mail.
Verizon Wireless is committed to educating the public on the safe and responsible use of wireless phones while driving. For more information on hands-free options and responsible driving, customers can visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store or www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 67.2 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 69,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to: www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.