LONDON, KY — Verizon Wireless today announced the completion of a major network expansion across nine southeast Kentucky counties, including Bell, Clay, Harlan, Knox, Laurel, Leslie, Pulaski, Rockcastle, and Whitley. Now, customers in London, Somerset, Corbin and other surrounding communities can make voice calls; send and receive e-mail and text, picture and video messages; access the Internet; view high-quality videos; and download music, games and ringtones on the nation's most reliable wireless network.
The company's $10 million network investment provides continuous coverage along Interstate 75 across Kentucky. Verizon Wireless built two new cell sites in the new coverage area and rebuilt the 23 cell sites that it purchased from Ramcell last year.
Verizon Wireless acquired the existing cell sites in August 2007 when it completed the purchase of operating assets of Ramcell in Kentucky. Now, these former Ramcell cell sites are part of Verizon Wireless' advanced nationwide network, helping improve its coverage and offering the latest technology for high-speed data capabilities.
As a result of the network conversion, Verizon Wireless customers living in and traveling to southeast Kentucky can now enjoy all of the company's data products and services including:
- Text, picture and video messaging: Customers can exchange text, picture and video messages with anyone on any wireless network in the United States.
- Mobile Web: The Internet at customers' fingertips provides up-to-date headlines, minute-to-minute stock quotes, access to e-mail, and more.
- Get It Now®: This is a virtual store available right on select Verizon Wireless phones where customers can shop for business and productivity tools, ringtones, ringback tones, games, and more.
- V CAST: This consumer-oriented multimedia service gives customers access to the most comprehensive selection of downloadable music, high-quality videos and the coolest 3D games found anywhere.
- BroadbandAccess: The enhanced high-speed wireless service equips Verizon Wireless' business customers with a truly untethered mobile office experience, enabling them to wirelessly access their calendars, the Internet, e-mail, and critical business information residing behind their companies' firewalls.
In addition to London, Somerset and Corbin, Verizon Wireless' newly expanded network covers these surrounding communities:
- Barbourville, Bledsoe, Bluehole, Burnside, Cannon, Colmar, Elihu, Emlyn, Eriline, Flat Lick, Harlan, Heidrick, Hoskinston, Hyden, Lake, Lily, Manchester, Middlesboro, Meldrum, Mount Vernon, Mozelle, Pineville, Rockholds, Saxton, Shopville, Thousandsticks, Urban, Williamsburg, and Woodbine
"Our customers choose Verizon Wireless and stay with us because we deliver on our promise to provide the most reliable network," said Greg Haller, president Kentucky/Indiana/Michigan region, Verizon Wireless. "This major expansion across southeast Kentucky reflects that commitment. We'll continue investing in our network here in Kentucky, as well as across the nation, so that our customers can rely on their wireless phones everywhere they go."
This investment is part of Verizon Wireless' continual effort to expand coverage, increase capacity and enhance the quality of its wireless voice and data network in Kentucky and throughout the country. Verizon Wireless has invested more than $45 billion since it was formed $5.5 billion on average every year to increase the coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services. More than $221 million of this investment was spent in Kentucky since 2000. In 2007, the company invested more than $38 million in Kentucky network improvements.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 67.2 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 69,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.####