CHICAGO, IL — Verizon Wireless is bringing a COLT to Taste of Chicago, June 27 July 6, 2008, but it's not the kind of colt you may be picturing. This 20,000 pound COLT is actually a vehicle equipped with a 30-foot antenna, back-up generator and is packed with network equipment that will be used to increase calling capacity for the thousands of wireless phone users attending the five-day event.
A COLT, or "Cells on Light Truck," is a fully functional, mobile cell site that enhances wireless capacity in a given area, thereby enabling thousands of extra calls to take place concurrently on the network, all in an attempt to make sure calls go through on the first try and are not disconnected mid-sentence.
Not only can a COLT enhance service surrounding large-scale events, it can also be used in times of disaster. Verizon Wireless' COLTs can be rolled into hard-hit locations or areas that need extra network capacity such as Hurricane Katrina that devastated the Gulf Coast.
- View the Verizon Wireless COLT on-site at Taste of Chicago and learn about how these trucks can aid network facilities during an event, disaster or other interruption and process thousands of calls every hour.
- Obtain information on how the wireless network works and what Verizon Wireless does to enhance service to customers.
- Conduct interviews with Verizon Wireless network operations representatives.
- High tech, 20,000 pound vehicle with 30-foot antenna and generator.
- Network equipment inside the vehicle.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 67.2 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 69,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to: www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.####