HOUSTON, TX — As the Southeast Texas coast prepares for the arrival of Tropical Storm Edouard, Verizon Wireless officials are making preparations to keep its network up and running during and after the possible storm. The storm, which could become a Category 1 Hurricane before it makes landfall on Tuesday, is predicted to bring between 2 and 8 inches of rain, reaching winds of 40 mph to 80 mph to areas along the southeastern coast of Texas.
"Verizon Wireless has preparations in place to help residents along the Southeast Texas coast stay connected during the brunt and aftermath of Tropical Storm Edouard," said Kay Henze, president of the Gulf Coast region of Verizon Wireless. "We work 24/7 to make sure our network can withstand these types of weather-related challenges. I am confident we will provide stand-out reliability with the great work of our Verizon Wireless test teams and staff."
To maximize wireless communications during Edouard, Verizon Wireless shares these tips with Southeast Texas residents:
- Purchase additional batteries and car-charger adapters for your wireless devices. Then, make sure to keep the batteries fully charged.
- Make sure you have important contact information programmed into your wireless device, including police, fire and rescue agencies; utility companies, insurance providers; family, friends, employer and co-workers.
- During severe weather, limit non-emergency calls to conserve battery power and free-up wireless networks for emergency agencies and operations. Instead, send brief text messages. If and when you evacuate, forward your home phone to your wireless number.
- Develop a systematic evacuation and communications plan with family and friends that includes what to do, a “phone tree,” where to go, and what supplies and items that need to travel with you. Make sure to keep a copy of the plan in your waterproof packet with your extra batteries and car charger.
- If your wireless device has multimedia capabilities, you can use it to check weather and news reports if the power is out. You can also check to see if any major roads have been closed due to flooding.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 68.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 70,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to: www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.