LOUISVILLE, KY — Verizon Wireless announced today it invested more than $47 million in 2008 to enhance its digital network in Kentucky. The enhancements included building new – and upgrading existing – cell sites, increasing new coverage area and capacity within existing coverage area, and completing its high-speed wireless broadband network expansion across its Kentucky coverage area.
“Customers can expect Verizon Wireless to continue investing in our Kentucky network in 2009,” said Greg Haller, president – Kentucky/Indiana/Michigan region, Verizon Wireless. “We’re very focused on integrating the Verizon Wireless and Alltel networks, building out new coverage areas and increasing capacity where we already have service, so that our 83 million customers across the state and nation can rely on their wireless devices to keep in touch and stay connected.”
Since the company was formed in 2000, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $268 million on improvements to its network in Kentucky, including the following upgrades made in 2008:
- Forty-seven new cell sites were activated statewide to improve network coverage and capacity, enabling more customers to use their phones concurrently to make voice calls; send and receive e-mail and text, picture and video messages; access the Internet; view high-quality videos; and download music, games and ringtones, while enjoying clearer reception and fewer dropped calls.
- Equipment on 60 existing cell sites throughout the state was upgraded, which further improved network capacity.
- Permanent backup generators were installed at 23 existing Kentucky cell sites to ensure network functionality during times of crisis.
- The company expanded its high-speed wireless broadband network to 73 cell sites across Kentucky, including those in the following new markets: London, Somerset, Corbin and several surrounding communities. With the upgraded network, Verizon Wireless customers are enjoying two prime services:
- Mobile Broadband, the enhanced high-speed wireless service that equips Verizon Wireless’ business customers with a truly untethered mobile office experience, enabling them to wirelessly access their calendars, the Internet, e-mail and critical business information residing behind their companies’ firewalls; and
- V CAST, a consumer-oriented multimedia service that gives customers access to the most comprehensive selection of downloadable music, high-quality videos and the coolest 3D games found anywhere.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 83.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.