DES MOINES, IA — Verizon Wireless announced today it invested more than $24 million in 2008 to enhance its digital network in Iowa. The enhancements included building new – and upgrading existing – cell sites, increasing new coverage areas and capacity within existing coverage areas, and expanding its high-speed wireless broadband network to new markets throughout the state, including Iowa City and Sioux City.
“Customers can expect Verizon Wireless to continue investing in our Iowa network in 2009,” said Marni Walden, president – Midwest Area, Verizon Wireless. “We’re very focused on integrating the Verizon Wireless and Alltel networks, building out new coverage areas and increasing capacity where we already have service, so that our more than 80 million customers across the state and nation can rely on their wireless devices to keep in touch and stay connected.”
Since the company was formed in 2000, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $226.5 million on improvements to its network in Iowa, including the following upgrades made in 2008:
- Seventeen new cell sites were activated statewide to improve network coverage and capacity, enabling more customers to use their wireless phones concurrently to make voice calls; send and receive e-mail and text, picture and video messages; access the Internet; view high-quality videos; and download music, games and ringtones, while enjoying clearer reception and fewer dropped calls.
- Equipment on 51 existing cell sites throughout the state was upgraded, which further improved network capacity.
- Permanent backup generators were installed at 16 Iowa cell sites to ensure network functionality during times of crisis.
- The company’s high-speed wireless network was expanded to a total of 80 cell sites across the state, and wireless broadband services were launched in Iowa City and Sioux City. The high-speed 3G wireless network provides Verizon Wireless customers with access to two prime services:
- Mobile Broadband, the enhanced high-speed wireless service that equips Verizon Wireless’ business customers with a truly untethered mobile office experience, enabling them to wirelessly access their calendars, the Internet, e-mail and critical business information residing behind their companies’ firewalls; and
- V CAST, a consumer-oriented multimedia service that gives customers access to the most comprehensive selection of downloadable music, high-quality videos and the coolest 3D games found anywhere.
These network improvements are part of Verizon Wireless’ continual effort to expand coverage, improve capacity and enhance the quality of its wireless voice and data network in Iowa and throughout the country. Verizon Wireless has invested more than $50 billion since it was formed – $5.5 billion on average every year – to increase the coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and data network, serving more than 80 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with more than 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.