WARRENDALE, PA — Verizon Wireless announced today it invested nearly $217 million in 2008 to enhance its digital network in Pennsylvania. The enhancements included building new – and upgrading existing – cell sites, increasing new coverage and capacity within existing coverage area, and completing its high-speed wireless broadband network expansion across its Pennsylvania coverage area.
“Customers can expect Verizon Wireless to continue investing in our Pennsylvania network in 2009,” said Roger Tang, president – Ohio/Pennsylvania/West Virginia region, Verizon Wireless. “We’re very focused on integrating the Verizon Wireless and Alltel networks, building out new coverage areas and increasing capacity where we already have service, so that our more than 80 million customers across the state and nation can rely on their wireless devices to keep in touch and stay connected.”
Since the company was formed in 2000, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $1.7 billion on improvements to its network in Pennsylvania, including the following upgrades made in 2008:
- 105 new cell sites were activated statewide to improve network coverage and capacity, enabling more customers to use their wireless phones concurrently to make voice calls; send and receive e-mail and text, picture and video messages; access the Internet; view high-quality videos; and download music, games and ringtones, while enjoying clearer reception and fewer dropped calls.
- Equipment on 514 existing cell sites throughout the state was upgraded, which further improved network capacity.
- Permanent backup generators were installed at an additional 50 Pennsylvania cell sites to ensure network functionality during times of crisis.
- The company’s high-speed wireless broadband network was expanded to 204 cell sites across Pennsylvania. With the upgraded network, Verizon Wireless customers are enjoying two prime services:
- Mobile Broadband, the enhanced high-speed wireless service that equips Verizon Wireless’ business customers with a truly untethered mobile office experience, enabling them to wirelessly access their calendars, the Internet, e-mail and critical business information residing behind their companies’ firewalls; and
- V CAST, a consumer-oriented multimedia service that gives customers access to the most comprehensive selection of downloadable music, high-quality videos and the coolest 3D games found anywhere.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and data network, serving more than 80 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with more than 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.