Providence, RI — Verizon Wireless customers in Rhode Island have the advantage when it comes to network speed, mobility and security at home, in the office and on vacation, all due to Verizon Wireless’ leading 3G high-speed wireless broadband network. Verizon Wireless broadcasts a 3G signal from every one of its cell sites in Rhode Island, allowing customers to wirelessly access and download data and multimedia content at broadband speeds.
Verizon Wireless, the first wireless provider to offer 3G speeds, today has the largest and most reliable 3G network coverage area in the United States. The Verizon Wireless 3G network provides customers with notebook computers or smartphones the ability to:
- Browse the web faster with quicker page loading times
- Quickly download and play music
- Watch streaming video
- Send emails with attachments
- Download and play 3D games
- Video conference with contacts
- Rapidly share files
“Verizon Wireless’ 3G network coverage across New England is unparalleled,” said director for Network System Performance for Verizon Wireless, Richard Enright. “We’ve invested billions of dollars into our New England network, believing that even the most sophisticated cell phone is only as good as the network it runs on. Our continued, aggressive network investments provide customers with a 3G network advantage at home and at the shore.”
Verizon Wireless’ 3G network in Rhode Island powers many leading mobile multimedia services, including:
- Mobile Broadband Internet Access: Notebook computer users can access email, download files and browse the Internet at broadband speed, downloading a one megabyte email attachment – the equivalent of a small PowerPoint® presentation or a large PDF file – in about eight seconds and uploading it in less than 13 seconds.
- V CAST Video: V CAST multimedia services offer customers the ability to play cutting-edge 3D games and stream video clips straight to their phones, as well as to watch dozens of on-demand videos, including breaking news, weather, sports highlights and the hottest entertainment clips.
- V CAST Music with Rhapsody: V CAST Music with Rhapsody service combines Verizon Wireless’ world-class, over-the-air mobile music service with Rhapsody’s leading desktop solution to deliver unlimited access to music.
The company has invested more than $50 billion since its inception to increase the wireless voice and data coverage of its national network and to add new 3G services like Mobile Broadband and V CAST. Regionally the company has invested more than $2.4 billion into its New England network over the past nine years, including $240 million in 2008 alone. As the carrier with America's largest and most reliable wireless network, Verizon Wireless cell sites in New England provide 3G high-speed wireless broadband connectivity.
Most Reliable Wireless Network The company’s ‘America’s most reliable wireless network’ reputation is based on network studies performed by real-life test men and women throughout the country. By traversing more than one million miles annually on Interstate, U.S. and state highways, as well as major roads and surface streets in high-population areas – the equivalent of two roundtrips to the moon or 40 trips around the world – the test men and women confirm that voice calls and data connections are successful on the first attempt and stay connected. Vehicles are equipped with computers that automatically make more than three million voice call attempts and more than 16 million data tests annually on Verizon Wireless' network and the networks of other carriers.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and data network, serving more than 86.6 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with more than 86,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.