ORANGEBURG, NY — This summer, gospel music fans can purchase tickets to watch the top church choirs from the New York Metro Area compete in the regional round of How Sweet the Sound™ presented by Verizon Wireless. The national search for the best church choir in America makes its stop at Newark’s Prudential Center on Friday, September 25, 2009.
Choirs participating in the Newark event will compete for the title of best choir in the New York/New Jersey Metro area and cash prizes of up to $15,000. The winning choir from the Newark performance also will have an opportunity to represent the area in the How Sweet the Sound grand finale event. Tickets to the concert at Prudential Center are $7 for floor seats and $5 for lower- and upper-tier seats.
After reviewing all of the audition tapes submitted by church choirs from New York and New Jersey, the top church choirs were selected by a panel of judges to compete in the concert in Newark. The New York choirs chosen to participate in the September 25th competition are:
- Fruits of the Spirit
- Holy Tabernacle Church
- Mt. Neboh Baptist Church
- Mt. Pleasant Community Church
- St. John/Sanctuary of Praise
- Powerful Praise Tabernacle
- Citadel of Praise & Worship
- Solid Rock Baptist Church
- Cambria Heights Community Church
- Deliverance Baptist Church
- Good Shepherd Baptist Church in St. Albans Lebanon
- Seventh-day Adventist Church in Laurelton
- Power of Faith Tabernacle in the Bronx
- Calvary Tabernacle in Hempstead Laodicea
- Church Of God in Central Islip
- LC Performing Arts/All Saints Church in Westbury
- Second Baptist Church in Baldwin
- St. Paul Kingdom City - Voices of Faith in Freeport
- 1st Congregational Church in Chappaqua
- Grace Baptist Church in Mt. Vernon
Details about How Sweet the Sound, including schedules, judging criteria and official event rules are available online at www.HowSweetTheSound.com.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Broadcast-quality B-Roll and high-resolution images from the 2008 How Sweet the Sound tour are available online. Log on to Verizon Wireless’ Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia to preview and request video segments, which can be received in newsrooms digitally or by tape.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and data network, serving more than 86.6 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with more than 86,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.