WILMINGTON, MA — Verizon Wireless today announced the completion of $192 million in wireless network enhancements across New England during 2009, increasing the company's regional network investment to $2.6 billion since 2000.
2009 Regional Milestones
- Activated new voice and 3G high-speed mobile broadband network cell sites across Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont
- Rebanded many existing cell sites to different cellular frequencies for increased coverage
- Completed the integration of the non-divested portion of the legacy Unicel wireless network, resulting in an additional 100 3G cell sites in Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts
- Began construction and deployment of a ‘trial’ 4G network in Boston consisting of 10 LTE (Long Term Evolution) 4G cell sites running on the 700 MHz spectrum; the company expects to commercially launch LTE 4G networks in up to 30 markets this year, covering 100 million people
- Recognized for the “Highest Call Quality Performance Among Wireless Cell Phone Users in New England,” in the J.D. Power and Associates’ 2009 Wireless Call Quality Performance Study(SM), Vol.2.
- Deployed additional emergency power equipment to cell sites – more than 90% of Verizon Wireless’ cell sites throughout New England have both backup batteries and permanent generators designed to maintain the company’s wireless network during the loss of commercial power
- Continued to test the quality of the company’s and competitors’ networks using a team of real-life test men and test women
View from Verizon Wireless“Verizon Wireless is New England’s 3G network leader, and this investment of another $192 million further increases the 3G advantage our customers enjoy at home and on vacation,” said Ken Dixon, president of Verizon Wireless’ New England Region.
“We’ve invested $2.6 billion into our New England network since 2000 because even the most sophisticated wireless device is only as good as the network it runs on,” said Richard Enright, director for Network System Performance for Verizon Wireless.
3G Mobile Broadband Customer BenefitsVerizon Wireless’ 3G high-speed mobile broadband network keeps customers connected, empowering those using notebook computers or smartphones to:
- Download and use cool apps, from mobile social networking portals to streaming radio
- Browse the Web to keep up with news, sports, stock quotes, Hollywood gossip and more at faster speeds
- Stream must-see video
- Share e-mails with friends, family and co-workers that include picture and video attachments
- Download and play vivid, rousing 3D games
- Quickly download and play music favorites from Top 40 to Classical
- Work on-the-go with rapid file sharing
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving 89 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NASDAQ and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.