ORANGEBURG, NY — Verizon Wireless today announced the completion of $228 million in wireless network enhancements across the New York Metro area during 2009, increasing the company's regional network investment to more than $3.2 billion since 2000. The regional expansion is part of the company’s ongoing nationwide investment in network infrastructure and continual commitment to improving network performance and meeting customers’ growing voice and data needs with the nation's largest, most reliable wireless network.
2009 Regional Milestones
- Activated nearly 100 new voice and 3G high-speed mobile broadband network cell sites across Westchester Country, Rockland County, New York City, Long Island and Northern New Jersey, in addition to 41 in-building systems that bolster network coverage at venues like Yankee Stadium, Citifield and Newark’s Prudential Center
- Added capacity on the high speed EV-DO data network to support increased wireless broadband usage
- Solidified position as the nation’s largest and most reliable 3G network (supported with the “There’s A Map for That” ad campaign), which makes possible advanced services like navigation, apps for social networking, streaming radio and video, Web browsing, e-mail and 3D gaming
- Improved network redundancy with capabilities designed to keep the network operating during power outages and a rigorous quality assurance program
- Continued to test the quality of the company’s and competitors’ networks using a team of real-life test men and test women
View from Verizon Wireless “As any wireless customer will tell you, Verizon Wireless is the New York Metro area’s 3G network leader. The $228 million investment we made in 2009 further expands and enhances the superiority of our 3G network coverage so our customers have the optimal wireless experience,” said Pat Devlin, president of Verizon Wireless’ NY Metro Region.
“We take the performance and reliability of our network very seriously, because even the most sophisticated wireless device is only as good as the network it runs on,” said Michele White, director of Network for Verizon Wireless’ NY Metro Region. “For the past decade, we’ve been adding cell sites and increasing capacity across the region so that as devices become more advanced and consumers become savvier with smartphone features and services, Verizon Wireless’ network remains the most reliable in the NY Metro area.”
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving 89 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NASDAQ and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.