SOUTHFIELD, MI — Verizon Wireless announced today it invested more than $221.3 million in 2010 to enhance its network in Michigan. The enhancements included building 45 new cell sites, upgrading equipment on more than 600 existing cell sites to increase coverage and capacity of the company's voice and 3G high-speed wireless network and prepping the backbone of the network for deploying 4G LTE across the state.
"While our company is focused on continuing to build out our 4G network both here in Michigan and nationwide over the next few years, we also remain committed to improving our 3G network that millions of customers rely on every day," said John Granby, presidentMichigan/Indiana/Kentucky Region, Verizon Wireless. "Customers may use their wireless devices in different ways, but they all have one need in common a reliable network. Regardless of how Michiganders rely on their wireless devices, whether it's ensuring they can keep in touch with loved ones during a snow storm or they can share their experience at their favorite sporting event via Facebook or Twitter, we will stay ahead of our customers' increasing demands for fast and secure wireless data services."
Since the company was formed in 2000, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $1.6 billion on improvements to its network in Michigan, including the following upgrades made in 2010:
- Forty five new cell sites were activated statewide to improve network coverage and capacity, enabling more customers to use their phones for social networking, Internet browsing, downloading apps and music, exchanging e-mail and text, picture and video messages, watching high-quality videos and making calls.
- Performance-based equipment was installed at more than 600 cell sites across Michigan; thereby boosting capacity of the company's advanced 3G high-speed wireless network as well as improving its speed and performance.
- In preparation to deploy 4G LTE across Michigan, new equipment was installed across the network, thereby increasing bandwidth to handle more data traffic.
- Permanent backup generators were installed at 71 cell sites to ensure network functionality during times of crisis.
- Temporary cell sites were deployed at various high-profile events to beef up network capacity, so that more customers can concurrently use their wireless devices. The temporary cell sites are fully functional, generator-powered mobile cell sites that enhance wireless capacity in a given area and work especially well at events with large crowds, including Detroit Lions home games at Ford Field (in Detroit); Detroit Tigers home games at Comerica Park (in Detroit); University of Michigan football home games at Michigan Stadium (in Ann Arbor); "The Big Chill At The Big House", an outdoor men's hockey game between rivals University of Michigan and Michigan State University which was held at Michigan Stadium and drew record crowds (in Ann Arbor); and NASCAR races at Michigan International Speedway (in Brooklyn).
For Verizon Wireless Updates on Twitter Stay in the know about Verizon Wireless news in Michigan by following @VZWMichelle on Twitter at http://twitter.com/vzwmichelle. For the latest network-related news, information and upgrades, follow @VZWNetwork on Twitter at http://twitter.com/VZWNetwork.
About Verizon Wireless in MichiganIn Michigan, Verizon Wireless has more than 2,100 employees and 65 company-owned retail locations in more than 50 cities, including Allen Park, Alpena, Alpine Township, Ann Arbor, Auburn Hills, Battle Creek, Bay City, Brighton, Burton, Canton, Clinton Township, Dearborn, Detroit, East Lansing, Escanaba, Farmington Hills, Fenton, Flint, Fort Gratiot, Gaylord, Grand Rapids, Grandville, Highland Park, Holland, Houghton, Iron Mountain, Jackson, Kentwood, Lake Orion, Lansing, Livonia, Marquette, Midland, Monroe, Muskegon, Northville, Novi, Okemos, Petoskey, Pontiac, Portage, Rochester Hills, Royal Oak, Saginaw, St. Clair Shores, St. Joseph, Southfield, Taylor, Traverse City, Troy, Utica, Warren and Westland.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless operates the nation's fastest and most advanced 4G network and largest and most reliable 3G network, and serves more than 94 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 82,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.####