DUBLIN, OH — Verizon Wireless announced today it invested more than $291 million in 2010 to enhance its network in Ohio. The investment included 27 new cell sites; upgrading equipment on 966 existing cell sites to increase coverage and capacity of the company’s voice and 3G high-speed wireless network; and prepping the backbone of the network to deploy 4G LTE across the state.
“Our company is focused on building a reliable 4G network both here in Ohio and nationwide, but we also remain committed to improving our 3G network which millions of customers rely on daily,” said Beth Drohan, Midwest Area vice president–network, Verizon Wireless. “Customers may use their wireless devices in different ways, but they all have one need in common–a reliable network.”
Since the company was formed in 2000, Verizon Wireless has invested nearly $1.9 billion on improvements to its network in Ohio, including the following upgrades made in 2010:
- Twenty-seven new cell sites were activated enabling more customers to use their phones for social networking, Internet browsing, downloading apps and music, exchanging e-mail and text, picture and video messages, watching high-quality videos and making calls.
- Equipment was installed at 966 cell sites across Ohio to boost capacity of the company’s advanced 3G high-speed wireless network and improve speed and performance.
- New equipment was installed across the network in preparation of deploying 4G LTE, which will increase bandwidth to handle more data traffic.
- Permanent backup generators were installed at 28 cell sites to ensure the network remains reliable during times of crisis.
- Temporary cell sites were deployed at high-profile events during the year that draw large crowds, including The Ohio State University Buckeye’s home football games and the Memorial Tournament held in Dublin.
For Verizon Wireless Updates on Twitter Stay in the know about Verizon Wireless news in Ohio by following @merrila on Twitter at http://twitter.com/merrila. For the latest network-related news, information and upgrades, follow @VZWNetwork on Twitter at http://twitter.com/VZWNetwork.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest and most advanced 4G network and largest and most reliable 3G network, and serves more than 94 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 82,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.