OVERLAND PARK, KS — Verizon Wireless announced today it invested more than $96 million in 2010 to enhance its network in Kansas. The investment included 40 new cell sites, upgrading equipment on more than 288 existing cell sites to increase coverage and capacity of the company’s voice and 3G high-speed wireless network, and prepping the backbone of the network for deploying 4G LTE across the state.
“Our company is focused on building a reliable 4G network both here in Kansas and nationwide, but we also remain committed to improving our 3G network which millions of customers rely on daily,” said Beth Drohan, Midwest Area vice president–network, Verizon Wireless. “Customers may use their wireless devices in different ways, but they all have one need in common – a reliable network.”
Since the company was formed in 2000, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $311 million on improvements to its network in Kansas, including the following upgrades made in 2010:
- 40 new cell sites were activated enabling more customers to use their phones for social networking, Internet browsing, downloading apps and music, exchanging email and text, picture and video messages, watching high-quality videos and making calls.
- Equipment was installed at more than 288 cell sites across Kansas to boost capacity of the company’s advanced 3G high-speed wireless network and improve speed and performance.
- New equipment was installed across the network in preparation of deploying 4G LTE, which will increase bandwidth to handle more data traffic.
- Permanent backup generators were installed at 48 cell sites to ensure the network remains reliable during times of crisis.
- Temporary cell sites were deployed at high-profile events during the year that draw large crowds, including Big XII Basketball Tournament at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, NASCAR races at Kansas Speedway (Kansas City, Kansas), Benedictine College in Atchison Kansas (multiple deployments for events), University of Kansas home football games, the Kansas State Fair in Hutchinson Kansas, and the Bluegrass festival in Winfield, Kansas.
For Verizon Wireless Updates on Twitter Stay in the know about Verizon Wireless news in Kansas by following @VZWBrenda on Twitter at http://twitter.com/vzwbrenda. For the latest network-related news, information and upgrades, follow @VZWNetwork on Twitter at http://twitter.com/VZWNetwork.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest and most advanced 4G network and largest and most reliable 3G network, and serves more than 94 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 82,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.