BLOOMSBURG, PA — To continue to stay ahead of rising demand for wireless voice, 3G multimedia and Internet access in Columbia County, Pennsylvania, Verizon Wireless has expanded its local network.
- New cell site provides increased wireless voice and 3G data coverage and capacity for the Bloomsburg area north along Hillside Drive to Chapins Road, south along Edwards Drive to Interstate 80 traveling east, east along Hillside Drive to Golf Course Road and west along Scenic Drive to I-80 traveling west.
- Within the past year, the company activated new cell sites that increased coverage and capacity in Columbia County throughout the borough of Benton, in addition to the area north along Route 487 from Benton to Hartman Hollow Road, south into Benton, along Route 487 from Benton to Cross Road and west along Route 239 from Route 487 to Kline Road. Coverage also was improved throughout the Catawissa area, north along Route 487 to Bloomsburg and along Route 42, south along Sycamore Road just south of Route 487 and along Route 42, east along Route 487 and west along Route 487 to Catawissa. An additional cell site also improved coverage throughout the borough of Berwick, as well as south along Routes 11, 93 and 339 and west along Route 9.
- Expanded 3G data coverage and capacity in Bloomsburg lets more customers using notebook computers or smartphones:
- Download and use cool apps, from mobile social networking platforms to GPS-enabled maps
- Rapidly browse the web to keep up with news, sports, stock quotes, Hollywood gossip and more
- Work on-the-go with fast file sharing
- Quickly download and play music favorites from Top 40 to Classical
- Send e-mails to friends, family and co-workers with picture and video attachments
- Download and play vivid 3D games
- Stream must-see video and customized radio stations
View from Verizon Wireless "We've always believed even the most advanced cell phone is only as good as the network it runs on," said Mario Turco, president of Verizon Wireless' Philadelphia Tri-State Region. "Our 3G high-speed Mobile Broadband network is the largest and most reliable in the United States, and we are the first wireless company on the globe to launch a sizeable LTE 4G footprint, covering 110 million people."
Harnessing the Capabilities of a Robust 3G Network Verizon Wireless' 3G network powers many leading mobile multimedia services, including:
- Mobile Broadband Internet Access: Notebook computer users can access e-mail, download files and browse the Internet at broadband speed, downloading a one megabyte e-mail attachment the equivalent of a small PowerPoint® presentation or a large PDF file in about eight seconds and uploading it in less than 13 seconds.
- V CAST Video: V CAST multimedia services offer customers the ability to play cutting-edge 3D games and stream video clips straight to their phones, as well as to watch dozens of on-demand videos, including breaking news, weather, sports highlights and the hottest entertainment clips.
Sustained Wireless Investment The company has invested more than $65 billion $6.0 billion on average every year since its inception to increase the wireless voice and data coverage of its national network and to add new 3G services like Mobile Broadband and V CAST. As the carrier with America's largest and most reliable wireless network, Verizon Wireless cell sites in the Philadelphia Tri-State Region provide 3G wireless data connectivity. The company's ongoing network investment in the region now totals more than $1.5 billion.
Engineering America's Most Reliable Wireless Network The company's 'America's most reliable wireless network' reputation is based on network studies performed by test men and test women throughout the country. By traversing more than one million miles annually on Interstate, U.S. and state highways, as well as major roads and surface streets in high-population areas the equivalent of two roundtrips to the moon or 40 trips around the world the test men and women confirm that voice calls and data connections are successful on the first attempt and stay connected. Vehicles are equipped with computers that automatically make more than 3.5 million voice call attempts and more than 19 million data tests annually on Verizon Wireless' network and the networks of other carriers. In 2011, the company earned recognition from J.D. Power and Associates for "Highest Call Quality Performance among Wireless Cell Phone Users in the Mid-Atlantic Region."
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation's fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 104 million total wireless connections, including more than 88 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.####