DOVER, DE — Anticipating a surge in wireless activity from thousands of NASCAR fans during the Triple Header Weekend on May 13-15 at Dover International Speedway, Verizon Wireless is activating two temporary mobile cell sites called COLTs (Cell on Light Truck).
- COLTs provide increased wireless voice and 3G data coverage for the more than 250,000 race fans and tailgaters expected in the City of Dover throughout the weekend.
- The implementation of temporary COLTs, will allow more customers and NASCAR using notebook computers or smartphones:
- Download and use cool apps, from mobile social networking platforms to GPS-enabled maps
- Rapidly browse the web to keep up with news, sports, stock quotes, Hollywood gossip and more
- Work on-the-go with fast file sharing
- Quickly download and play music favorites from Top 40 to Classical
- Send e-mails to friends, family and co-workers with picture and video attachments
- Download and play vivid 3D games
- Stream must-see video and customized radio stations
View from Verizon Wireless “When we anticipate a significant surge in wireless activity, we bring in additional mobile cell sites that work along with our existing area network to compensate,” said Randy Miller, executive director of network for Verizon Wireless’ Philadelphia Tri-State Region. “The COLTs enable us to handle the temporary increase in wireless usage and ensures that we are providing our customers with the highest quality service from the nation’s most reliable network.”
Quick Facts on the Verizon Wireless COLT
- The temporary cell site can process thousands of calls every hour.
- Each 25,000-pound COLT features a retractable mast, a microwave antenna to link network components, an emergency power generator and a small office.
- The COLTs are also fully equipped with resources needed during emergencies including equipment, fuel, electrical generators, food, water and cots.
Sustained Network Investment The temporary cell site is part of Verizon Wireless’ continuous effort to increase capacity and enhance the quality of its wireless voice and data network in the Philadelphia Tri-State Region and across the country. Verizon Wireless ensures the reliability of that network through continuous investment and enhancement. The company has invested more than $65 billion – $6 billion on average every year – since its inception to increase the wireless voice and data coverage of its national network and to add new 3G services like Mobile Broadband and V CAST. The company’s ongoing network investment in the region now totals more than $1.5 billion.
B-Roll:Video, B-roll and high-quality still photographs of Verizon Wireless’ fleet of COLTs can be found at http://verizonwireless.mediaseed.tv/Story.aspx?story=36603.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 104 million total wireless connections, including more than 88 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.