SARASOTA, FL — Starting Thursday, Verizon Wireless customers in the Sarasota-Bradenton area will be able to surf the web, download files and share music and photos up to 10 times faster than before with Verizon Wireless’ 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) network. The network launches on July 21 and will be available to customers in several areas of Sarasota and Manatee counties, including:
- City of Sarasota
- Longboat Key
- Anna Maria Island
- Bradenton Beach
- Bay Shore Gardens
- DeSoto Lakes
- Bee Ridge
- Gulf Gate Estates
The Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport also will be covered by the most advanced Verizon Wireless LTE 4G services.
“We are proud to lead the Sarasota-Bradenton metro areas into the 4G LTE wireless broadband world, helping residents, small businesses and local government here connect faster and more fully with each other and those outside our communities,” said Pam Tope, Floria region president. “Our 4G LTE network is revolutionizing the way people communicate around the world, and we know this connectivity will be a key technology enabler for many years to come.”
Smartphones, Hotspots and Laptop Modems
Residents of Sarasota and Bradenton can choose from an array of devices that have been introduced to access the blazingly fast speeds of the 4G LTE network, including:
- The Revolution™ by LG is the first Android™ smartphone that gives Netflix subscribers access to movies and television shows through a pre-loaded Netflix app. Customers can capture and share HD images or videos on a 4.3-inch capacitive touchscreen and take advantage of other features including a rear-facing 5.0-megapixel camera with autofocus and LED flash, a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for video chat, 720p HD video recording and playback, built-in HDMI output and SmartShare capability for sharing multimedia content with HDMI capable displays and Mobile Hotspot capability that allows customers to share 4G LTE with up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices or a 3G connection with up to five devices. Available for $199.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- The DROID Charge by Samsung features a 4.3-inch Super AMOLED™ Plus display, a rear-facing 8-megapixel camera with LED flash and front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for both stills and video chatting, Android 2.2 platform, 1 GHz application processor, HTML 5 Web browser and Mobile Hotspot capability that lets customers share the 4G LTE connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices or the 3G connection with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices. Available for $299.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- ThunderBolt™ by HTC smartphone is powered by Android™ 2.2 and has an 8-megapixel rear facing camera and HD (720p) video recording, 1.3-megapixel front facing camera with video chatting capabilities, newest generation of the 1GHz Snapdragon processor and Mobile Hotspot capability that lets customers share the 4G LTE connection with up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices. Available for $249.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- The 4G LTE-enabled Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 offers full support for Google™ Mobile Services, including Gmail™, YouTube™ and more; a 10.1-inch enhanced display with a 1280x800 resolution HD screen; 1 GHz dual core application processor; a 2-megapixel front-facing camera and a 3-megapixel rear-facing camera; and Adobe® Flash® Player to deliver an enhanced Internet browsing experience and access to content-rich websites. Both consumers and business customers will find a multitude of uses for the Galaxy Tab that range from video chat to business tools, including those that allow for the opening and editing of documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Available to pre-order for $529.99 for the 16 GB model and $629.99 for the 32 GB model after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi® 4510L and the Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot SCH-LC11 let customers share the 4G LTE internet connection with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices at the same time. The MiFi 4510L is $49.99 with new 2-year agreement and the Samsung mobile hotspot is $99.99 with new 2-year agreement.
- Verizon Wireless 4G LTE USB Modem 551L comes equipped with a fold-out USB connector, a four color LED Service Status Indicator and an internal antenna. Available for $99.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- Pantech’s UML290 USB modem comes equipped with a fold-away, 180 degree rotating USB connector, an LED Service Status Indicator and a internal antenna. Available for $49.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- The LG VL600 4G LTE modem comes equipped with a fixed USB connector, an LED Service Status Indicator and an internal antenna.
In real-world, fully-loaded network environments, 4G LTE users should experience average data rates of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) on the downlink and 2 to 5 Mbps on the uplink, so customers throughout the state capitol can enjoy the fast speeds of the world’s first large-scale 4G LTE network. Verizon Wireless began introducing the globe’s first large-scale LTE network on December 5, 2010, covering more than 110 million Americans, and is quickly expanding national coverage. The company is rapidly building out its 4G LTE network, and is on course to deliver 4G LTE to its entire 3G wireless footprint by the end of 2013.
In addition, the company is working with rural communications companies to collaboratively build and operate a 4G network in those areas using the tower and backhaul assets of the rural company and Verizon Wireless’ core 4G LTE equipment and premium 700 MHz spectrum.
When customers travel outside of a 4G coverage area, the devices automatically connect to Verizon Wireless’ 3G network, enabling customers to stay connected from coast to coast. Verizon Wireless’ 3G network is the most reliable network in the country, allowing customers with laptops and smartphones to download and use cool apps, from mobile social networking platforms to GPS-enabled maps, rapidly browse the web to keep up with news, sports, stock quotes, Hollywood gossip and more, work on-the-go with fast file sharing and stream must-see video and customized radio stations.
4G LTE Data Plans, Promotions and Local Store Information
With the Revolution by LG, DROID Charge by Samsung and the ThunderBolt by HTC, customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan, beginning at $39.99 monthly access, and a 4G LTE data package. New Verizon Wireless customers will have the option of smartphone data packages starting at $30 for 2 GB of data, while existing Verizon Wireless smartphone customers with unlimited data plans upgrading their smartphones can keep their current data plans.
For the 4G LTE-enabled Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon 4G LTE data package starting at $30 for 2 GB of data. Other data plans available for smartphones and tablets include $50 for 5 GB data and $80 for 10 GB of data.
4G LTE Mobile Broadband plans for the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi® 4510, Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot SCH-LC11, Verizon Wireless 4G LTE USB Modem 551L, LG VL600 4G LTE modem and Pantech UML290 USB modem begin at $50 monthly access for 5 GB of data. Data usage can be tracked by logging on to My Verizon online at www.verizonwireless.com/myverizon.
Visit www.verizonwireless.com/lte for more information about Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE network.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 104 million total wireless connections, including more than 88 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.