OnStar, Verizon Unveil Second-Generation Research Vehicle To Demonstrate The Power Of The Verizon 4G LTE Network
LAS VEGAS, NV, and BASKING RIDGE, NJ — OnStar and Verizon Wireless unveiled a second-generation connected research vehicle at the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES). The static Chevrolet Volt research concept vehicle focuses on a comprehensive in-vehicle experience giving all users access to streaming content from the Cloud enabled by the Verizon 4G LTE network and building on OnStar’s Advanced Telematics Operating System (ATOMS).
The Volt research cars will be featured as part of the Verizon booth (South Hall, Booth #30259) as well as the OnStar booth (North Hall, Booth #1330) in the Las Vegas Convention Center. The prototype applications demonstrate:
- Streaming Content: The 4G LTE connection provides passengers access to streaming content from their home computers or via a popular streaming service.
- Sharing content throughout the vehicle: OnStar has developed a method for the in-vehicle sharing of content among users.
- Rear Seat Infotainment Management: With the use of an advanced Human Machine Interface, the user has independent control of the two rear zones, allowing transmission of cached or streaming content, including music, videos, games and news, to each rear passenger.
- Video chat: Passengers can make a Skype video call from the vehicle to anywhere: vehicle to home, vehicle to mobile device or vehicle to vehicle.
Additionally, OnStar built on its pioneering work with Smart Grid technology and home connectivity to develop in-vehicle energy management applications:
- OnStar RemoteLink: Full integration of OnStar’s RemoteLink mobile application gives the Volt owner the opportunity to access remote vehicle information and services.
- Real-time diagnostics and Eco Routing: Volt owners can access charge status and distance on remaining charge, find and reserve charging locations, and manage pertinent Volt information and vehicle diagnostics.
- Home Energy Management: OnStar allows users to control the home thermostat, lights, garage door and other systems directly from the vehicle.
Following the 2011 CES joint research vehicle, OnStar’s advanced innovation engineering team continued collaboration with Verizon’s LTE Innovation Center to further investigate the potential of the connected vehicle. The takeaway was developing a more holistic cloud connected in-vehicle experience.
“These applications are just a glimpse of what is possible when you combine the cloud computing capabilities of OnStar and the power of the Verizon 4G LTE network,” said OnStar President Linda Marshall. “Moving forward we want to continue to provide our customers with a comprehensive suite of connected services and create a seamless in-vehicle experience.”
While the applications shown in the static Chevrolet Volt research vehicle are only conceptual, they demonstrate future opportunities the OnStar ATOMS Cloud capabilities can provide in combination with broadband accessibility.
Verizon Wireless leads the way in 4G with the largest 4G LTE network and most reliable 4G network in the United States, which now covers more than 200 million people in 190 markets.
Verizon established its Innovation Program to encourage collaboration and help advance the 4G LTE ecosystem. The company’s LTE Innovation Center in Waltham, Mass., and its Application Innovation Center in San Francisco were created to inspire, enable and develop non-traditional devices, services and applications that take advantage of Verizon Wireless’ industry-leading wireless networks. Through the Innovation Program, Verizon seeks to expand the possibilities of 4G LTE by working with diverse companies, from start-ups to established players, in industries representing a broad range of verticals.
(EDITOR’S NOTE: Media attending CES 2012 in Las Vegas can visit Verizon Wireless and OnStar at LVCC, South Hall, Booth #30259.)
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s largest 4G LTE network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 107.7 million total wireless connections, including 90.7 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with nearly 83,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
OnStar, a wholly owned subsidiary of General Motors, is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology. With more than 6 million subscribers in the U.S, Canada and China, OnStar is currently available on more than 45 MY 2012 GM models, as well as available for installation on most other vehicles already on the road with OnStar FMV. More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.com.