CHARLOTTE, NC — As tens of thousands of visitors infiltrate the city in September, Verizon Wireless shares tips on how wireless technology can help Charlotte residents manage through the surge in the city’s population during the Democratic National Convention.
- Accessing road closure information during the DNC is simple with Verizon’s 4G LTE network. Using Internet browsers on smartphones and tablets makes it easy to reference Charlotte’s DNC transportation plan.
- The City of Charlotte is providing a simple way for residents to avoid heavy traffic using their mobile devices. Locals and visitors can access updated transportation maps on the go with the City of Charlotte’s DNC website or by following @CharlotteNCgov on Twitter.
- Updated every 60 seconds from 1.8 billion traffic probes around the country, Verizon’s VZ Navigator, a robust GPS app, can alert residents to heavy traffic and help them find the fastest alternate routes around trouble areas.
- To beat the roadway congestion altogether, residents may opt to utilize the Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) options. Mobile apps are available to help residents identify the nearest routes and specific arrival and departure times. Residents should keep in mind that though CATS services will be operational during the convention, some bus routes and the LYNX Blue Line will be temporarily rerouted or suspended. Visit CharMeck.org for details.
- Large events like the DNC can lead to usage spikes in wireless network traffic; sending text messages rather than making voice calls as often as possible can help keep the wireless network open for important phone calls.
- Whether interested in keeping up with DNC news or simply avoiding large crowds, Charlotte residents can download the My2012 Charlotte app on both Android and iOS devices to keep abreast of where local DNC events are happening.
- With uncertainty over how Uptown restaurants will be impacted by the DNC crowd, Charlotte residents can use the free Urbanspoon app to search for restaurants by neighborhood, cost and cuisine in the most accessible parts of the city.
To find other useful applications for your Verizon Wireless mobile device, shop Google Play on Android devices or Apple’s App Store on iOS devices.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless operates the nation’s largest 4G LTE network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 94.2 million retail customers, including 88.8 million retail postpaid customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 78,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.