PENSACOLA, FL — As Tropical Storm Isaac draws near, the Verizon Wireless network throughout the region stands ready to deliver reliable wireless coverage and service in the event of severe storms.
In 2011 alone Verizon Wireless invested $19 million in the Pensacola area to strengthen and enhance its wireless network, ensuring Floridians comprehensive, reliable wireless coverage in the case of severe weather and every day.
Since May 2011 Pensacola has been fully equipped with Verizon Wireless 4G LTE coverage, the nation’s largest 4G LTE network.
“Wireless communication is critical to Floridians, especially during storms and other severe circumstances,” said Krista Bourne, president of the Houston/Gulf Coast region for Verizon Wireless. “We work hard to maintain the strongest infrastructure and provide the best, most reliable services to our customers in any situation.”
Other ongoing efforts to ensure a reliable network during the storm season and year-round include:
- A comprehensive emergency response plan, including preparing emergency command centers across Pensacola in the case of a storm or other crisis.
- Network technicians travel hundreds of thousands of miles across Pensacola in high-tech vehicles to measure the quality of Verizon Wireless voice and data service calls all across the state.
- Verizon has a fleet of Cells on Wheels (COWS), Cells on Light Trucks (COLTS), and generators on trailers (GOaTS) that can be rolled into hard-hit locations or areas that need extra network capacity.
- Pre-arranging fuel delivery to mobile units and generators to keep the network operating at full strength even if power is lost for an extended period of time.
- Erecting new digital cell sites, of which about 80 percent have their own on-site generators and new expanded fuel tanks to extend their power-generating capacity.
These initiatives are part of a national network investment exceeding $70 billion to increase the coverage and capacity of Verizon’s premier nationwide network, and to add new services.
For more information on the Verizon Wireless network, products and services, visit www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless operates the nation’s largest 4G LTE network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 94.2 million retail customers, including 88.8 million retail postpaid customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 78,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.