Nearly 40 million people visit Chicago each year, and many rely on their phones to help them experience the best the city has to offer. If you’re considering a trip (or even relocating), here are some must-have apps Chicago natives recommend.
- The Chicago City Guide app has just about every feature a tourist might need to explore the city, from interactive maps to hotel and restaurant finders, event listings, weather information and even a currency converter.
- iTrans Chicago CTA is a must if you plan to navigate the city by train. iTrans offers the official CTA system map, real-time notifications, schedules and even step-by-step directions between any two locations accessible by CTA.
- Instagram is as popular in Chicago as everywhere else, and Choose Chicago, the official Instagram account for Chicago tourism, recommends tagging your favorite photos with the hash tag #MyChicagoPix. The Chicago Tribune encourages readers to submit photos with the hash tag #Trib2014, and the Tribune’s social media editor, Scott Kleinberg, invented the hash tag #Instagram312. Follow along to see photos representing a variety of locales in the extended Chicagoland area.
- Pocket Guide Chicago can help save you money on expensive tours by acting as your personal mobile tour guide. As it does with many other cities, Pocket Guide Chicago uses GPS to figure out your location and provides an audio tour voiced by a local guide, revealing the stories behind the neighborhood you're in.
- SpotHero is an app available in several major cities that can come in handy if your Chicago plans include driving and parking. SpotHero aims to help drivers save money by finding less expensive parking spots in the city, which could give a tourist more valuable time to enjoy Chicago’s sights.
- Trulia – Thinking about moving? Use this app to look for properties to rent or buy. Trulia also allows you to save searches and mark the best listings as “favorites” to help the app adapt and determine what else to send you for consideration.
This is part the Verizon Wireless “Must-have Apps” series, which provides insights into the apps that people use every day to embrace the mobile lifestyle.
Data usage applies for app download and use.