This is part of the Verizon Wireless “Tech Tip” series, which provides insights into the apps that people use every day to embrace the mobile lifestyle.
What if charging your phone was as simple as setting it down on a small pad? That is the principle behind Qi (pronounced “chee”) wireless charging and, while the technology may not be new, its productivity-boosting benefits are worth demoing for yourself. For instance:
- Many popular smartphones are capable of charging wirelessly — even if they didn’t come that way out of the box. Some devices have Qi wireless charging built-in. Others can be made compatible with an affordable add-on case or battery cover.
- The quiet yet satisfying wow factor. If it’s been a while since smartphone tricks impressed you, try wireless charging for a week. Liberating yourself from the ritual of locating, connecting and disconnecting cables is bound to bring on a smile. It makes a wireless device feel truly wireless.
- Qi wireless charging is a legitimate time-saver. For the smartphone user who charges their device one hour per day, owning a wireless charging pad equates to less time tethered to an outlet, the elimination of more than a dozen cable interactions per week, plus the speedy convenience of being able to grab-and-go. Each minute saved adds up.
- Public Qi wireless charging stations are becoming more ubiquitous. What was once an exclusive travelers’ perk at airports and hotels is now cropping up in restaurants, offices, event venues, current production cars, and even furniture.
- Cross-platform compatibility. Any Qi-certified charger will power-up any Qi-compatible Android, iOS or Windows Phone device regardless of brand — an unthinkable feat for the common cable.