How do I manage mail filters in Microsoft® Outlook Express? Outlook Express filters are called Rules and are found in the Inbox Assistant. By using the Inbox Assistant, you can have incoming messages that meet certain criteria sent to the folders you want, forwarded to a contact in your address book, or even thrown away.
To create Rules in Outlook Express:
- From the Tools menu, select Inbox Assistant.
- Click Add. The Properties window opens.
- Define the criteria for incoming messages by typing in the fields in the top portion of the window.
- In the Perform the Following Action area, define the desired action by checking the appropriate box, then click the folder, person or file you want to send the matching incoming messages to.
- Click OK. The Inbox Assistant window reappears with your Rule (filter). If the Rule is correct, click OK. Outlook Express saves it.
Once saved, you can use the Inbox Assistant to remove or modify the filter.
- You can specify multiple filters (Rules) for incoming messages.
- To change the priorities by which messages are sorted, from the Inbox Assistant dialog box, click the Move Up or Move Down buttons.