What is a virus? A virus is a program written to change the way a computer operates without your knowledge or consent. Viruses are usually distributed by email and vary from causing minor annoyances to deleting files and corrupting critical data.
Symptoms of computer viruses include:
- Inexplicable system crashes
- Programs taking significantly longer to start
- A decrease in computer processing speed without reason
- Excessive attempts to access the hard drive, even for simple tasks
- Files that are suddenly corrupted or don't work properly
- A sharp reduction in available memory and system resources for no apparent reason
- Programs or files that are suddenly missing
- Programs or files that are created without your permission
- A sudden reduction in available hard drive space
- The changing of a volume or disk's name
- Strange messages or displays on your monitor
- The playing of unusual sounds or music at random times
See Also: How can I remove viruses from my computer?
How can I protect my computer from viruses?