Through your 529K hours, Citizen Verizon is making a big impact.
We ended 2020 strong, with 115% of our annual volunteer goal achieved, and that’s just the beginning.
Our editorial transparency tool uses blockchain technology to permanently log all changes made to official releases after publication. However, this post is not an official release and therefore not tracked. Visit our learn more for more information.
You showed up! Despite the demands of work, personal lives, a pandemic, race and social injustice and a myriad of other everyday commitments, you showed up, for your community, friends, coworkers and the world.
Through Citizen Verizon, we are moving the world forward for good. Verizon’s commitment to delivering measurable impact in volunteer programs is one piece of a larger plan that aligns with long-term goals for economic, environmental and social advancement making a sustainable change in our communities.
In 2020, we committed to 2.5 million volunteer hours by 2025. In our first year, we have already exceeded our annual goal at 115%, completing 529K hours to support our key initiatives in digital inclusion, climate protection and human prosperity. Now, one year into our commitment, we are moving with purpose toward our goals and making a difference in the lives of so many in the process. Here are some of the ways we made a real and meaningful impact together as the V Team:
- 5,694 blind and low-vision individuals were assisted by Verizon employees to help complete daily errands and tasks via video assistive technology.
- 79% of older adults felt more confident connecting with friends and family online and 81% felt less alone after partnering with a V Teamer and being trained on applications like Facetime and skills like internet searching.
- 18,814 hours spent tutoring Title 1 students online in STEM subjects.
- 81% of girls demonstrated high STEM interest after participating in an education session with V-Teamers.
- 1,034,977 classifications contributing to global scientific research, which resulted in 1 publication including Verizon volunteer work.
- 9,948+ pounds of litter collected from neighborhoods in which we live and work.
- 1,000 solar cars assembled for Verizon Innovative Learning school students.
- 1,260 hours spent mentoring small business owners.
- 91% of vulnerable workers who received peer counseling reported feeling better after a conversation with a V Teamer.
- 18,420 hygiene care kits assembled to help communities in the wake of a natural disaster.
- 90% of computer science students participating in a Verizon career readiness program stated that the volunteer event increased their knowledge of the tech industry.
You can read about more of our volunteer accomplishments in our inaugural Volunteer Impact Report.
Don’t stop now. This is just the beginning. Here are some upcoming events to consider:
- Share Your Voice for Those Living with Speechlessness | Verizon Media Link
- Handwritten Notes For Suicide Prevention | Verizon Media Link
- Join the Verizon Litter Cleanup Challenge! | Verizon Media Link
- Contribute to COVID Research as a Citizen Scientist | Verizon Media Link
- Write Blog Posts That Help Students Achieve Their Academic Goals | Verizon Media Link
Let’s keep this momentum going. Every small step brings us closer to achieving our goals and making a profound difference along the way.