Addressing climate-related risks and opportunities.
We have adopted the recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) and published our first report aligned with these guidelines.
Allocating nearly $500M in first green bond report.
In February 2019, Verizon became the first U.S. telecom company to issue a green bond. The bond offering raised almost $1 billion in net proceeds for renewable energy, energy efficiency, green buildings, sustainable water management and biodiversity and conservation.
Talking sustainability with Verizon’s CSO.
Hear from Jim Gowen, Verizon's Chief Sustainability Officer, on how we’re committed to protecting our planet for future generations.
In 2019, our solutions enabled:
- 8.8Mmetric tonsof carbon dioxide equivalent emissions eliminated.
- 1.9Mequivalent # of carsremoved from the road for one year.
- 199%offsettingof 2018 operational emissions (Scope 1 & 2)
See how Verizon's connected solutions enable consumers and businesses to reduce their carbon footprints.
Recycling and waste diversion
Across our operations, we work to conserve resources and divert waste from landfills.
- We recycled more than 84.8 million pounds of telecommunications equipment, batteries, paper, cardboard and other items. This included more than 43.3 million pounds of e-waste and over 2.3 million pounds of plastic.
- We also exceeded our goal to collect 4 million pounds of community e-waste between 2009-2020 and have set a new goal to collect and recycle 5 million pounds of e-waste between 2009 and 2022.