Through our Supplier Diversity program, Verizon’s commitment to diversity and inclusion extends beyond the workplace and reaches the communities we serve.
In 2017, supplier diversity champions Bill Binford and Wasif Bokhari helped our supplier diversity team deliver a big win for Verizon, our customers and our communities.
These two V Teamers made significant contributions to our overall supplier diversity spend in 2017:
- Bill Binford created awareness and drove results for diversity spending in the media space. Since he became a supplier diversity champion two years ago, Bill hasbeen one of the strongest supporters of the program, engaging with our media buy partners in an effort to promote and educate them on the benefits of supplier diversity.
- Wasif Bokari manages our purchasing for Verizon’s contact centers and has been a diversity champion for close to two years. His mentoring has enabled smaller, diverse companies to compete for our business. Wasif has also worked to ensure suppliers certify with third-party organizations to meet our supplier diversity requirements.
Supplier diversity makes our company stronger
Supplier diversity helps drive fresh ideas and innovative solutions for our customers, and supports economic development in a multicultural world. It’s where two of the important principles from Verizon’s credo come together – namely, “we embrace diversity” and “we share our success with the community.”
In the last five years, we’ve spent over $30 billion, directly and indirectly, with diverse suppliers. This spending has a ripple effect: By reducing barriers and increasing opportunities for diverse suppliers, we make their business and our business better, driving growth while creating great experiences for our customers.
In the last five years, Verizon has spent over $30 billion, directly and indirectly, with diverse suppliers
A Supplier Diversity program committed to do more
Verizon’s supplier diversity program is committed to provide opportunities to diverse suppliers – businesses owned and operated by women, minorities, veterans, service-disabled veterans, disabled, and LGBT individuals.
And our success isn’t just luck – it’s a well-executed program with lots of V Teamers behind it. Here’s some of what we do that makes this program tick:
- Industry-specific coaching by the supplier diversity management team gives every supplier the tools needed to compete in the global marketplace.
- A mentorship program called EDGE (Educate, Develop, Grow and Enrich) is being piloted to provide diverse business owners with an opportunity to learn from our executive leaders.
- The Premier Supplier Academy (PSA) is an educational component of the Supplier Diversity program that includes educational webinars or in-person sessions allowing diverse suppliers to showcase their capabilities with Verizon business stakeholders or key prime suppliers.
Business champions identify supplier diversity opportunities across our business and advocate for the program both internally and externally.
Kudos to supplier diversity champions Bill and Wasif, and to the entire supplier diversity team, for your commitment to diversifying Verizon’s supply chain and contributing to the economic growth that benefits the communities we serve. Thank you!