Verizon wants our customers – and everyone else – to stay safe on the road.
Verizon recognizes that the misuse of mobile devices by drivers is a leading cause of distracted driving accidents. The same technology that lets us connect to the world can lead to tragedy when drivers choose to take their eyes off the road in favor of their mobile screens.
It’s not always easy to ignore that incoming text message or to resist the urge to adjust your GPS while driving, but it can mean the difference between life and death.
Verizon is committed to curbing this dangerous habit.
– We offer our wireless customers apps that encourage safer driving and block texting while driving.
– Through the Hum app, we offer drivers a smart Safety Score based on several factors, including phone use while driving. Customers can keep track of changes in their score and compare against friends and family.
– We also employ several best practices when it comes to phones we provide to our employees, including a feature that warns them to put their device down whenever they start driving.
A single accident involving distracted driving is one too many. So we’ll keep making efforts until our roads are safer for everyone.
Distracted driving by the numbers
Distracted driving costs lives every single day. Here’s the latest data from the CDC.
Simple tips to help stay focused
Here’s what you can do:
1. Don’t take your eyes off the road.
- Keep your eyes on the road at all times.
- Pull over to read directions.
- Put your phone in Do Not Disturb mode.
2. Don’t take your hands off the wheel.
- Keep your phone out of reach.
- Make adjustments before driving.
- Don't reach for items while driving.
3. Don’t take your mind off of driving.
- Avoid phone calls, even hands free.
- Stay focused on the road.
- Keep your emotions in check.