Help reduce distracted driving
Distracted driving costs lives. Let’s
work together to curb this deadly habit.
The three main
There are three main types of distractions while driving – visual, manual and cognitive. Activities that combine all three types, such as reading or sending a text, pose the greatest risk. See our infographic for more examples.
Distracted driving by the numbers
- 9killedevery day in crashes involving distracted driving
- 1,000injuredeach day in crashes where distracted driving was a factor
- 42percentof high school drivers who report sending a text or email while driving
Here’s what you can do:
Simple tips to help stay focused
1. Don’t take your eyes off the road.
- Keep your eyes on the road at all times.
- Pull over to read directions.
- Put your phone in Do Not Disturb mode.
2. Don’t take your hands off the wheel.
- Keep your phone out of reach.
- Make adjustments before driving.
- Don't reach for items while driving.
3. Don’t take your mind off of driving.
- Avoid phone calls, even hands free.
- Stay focused on the road.
- Keep your emotions in check.