The second generation and 2G network speeds
With 2G speed, you can send and receive text messages and download things like ringtones. Amazing in the 1990s, but not for today’s smartphone users.
Well, let’s take a look back…
Imagine using 2G versus 4G LTE today in the following situations with your smartphone or tablet…
Scenario #1: Your boss needs a large presentation emailed to her in 5 minutes.
- 4G LTE—No problem. It takes approximately 3.8 seconds to send a 5 MB File.
- 2G—Sending a 5 MB file could take more than 8 minutes. You may want to dust off that resume while you keep the boss waiting.
Scenario #2: You just took the perfect “selfie” and want to share it via Instagram.
- 4G LTE—Shared and liked before you can say “social media superstar.”
- 2G—By the time this shows up on Instagram, it'll qualify for Throwback Thursday.
Scenario #3: You're waiting at the airport and you'd love to watch your favorite show on your tablet.
- 4G LTE—Ready for takeoff? It should take only about 7 seconds to start streaming.
- 2G—Video? Seriously? Maybe that guy sitting next to you has 4G LTE on his tablet and will let you watch over his shoulder.
So, maybe like to try on a flannel sometime or re-watch “Forrest Gump” for the twentieth time, but if you’re looking to take advantage of the full capabilities of your wireless device, we’re pretty sure you wouldn’t want to go back to the “good old days” days of 2G speed on your smartphone.