Celebrating Veterans Day 2020.
Showing our support and honoring veterans.
Our editorial transparency tool uses blockchain technology to permanently log all changes made to official releases after publication. However, this post is not an official release and therefore not tracked. Visit our learn more for more information.
Veterans Day is celebrated on November 11 in the U.S., and Verizon and V Teamers come together to honor all those who have served. Verizon leaders share their thank you messages with all veterans for their courage, strength and bravery in your service to this country.
Although this year’s Veterans Day is different, it does not change our commitment and support for veterans and military - customers and V Teamers alike. Many activities are planned to thank veterans for their service and sacrifice.
We value our military as both customers and employees of Verizon. Currently, more than 10K military employees are on the V Team. With their excellent training, discipline and experience in supporting our country, our military employees contribute their skills across our entire business to help serve our customers. Because of our engagement, hiring and recruitment efforts, we’ve been recognized as the #1 Military-Friendly company for three years in a row.
We’re proud of our impactful programs for employees including Hiring Our Heroes Fellowship program, military spouses’ support, and VALOR, our military employee resource group that’s dedicated to strengthening military networks at Verizon and in our communities. We show our appreciation to the military community through special events and experiences, great deals and special offers for our active military and veteran customers to keep them connected through our work with Wounded Warrior Project®, Call for Fire (our military appreciation gear provider), Medal of Honor Recipients events, and volunteerism.
There are many ways for V Teamers to show support for veterans and military members.
- Volunteer. There are several virtual volunteerism opportunities available in the Volunteer Portal, from writing letters to veterans to taking part in virtual Carry it Forward walks/runs. Check out our November round-up for more activities.
- Tune in tonight at 10 PM ET/7 PM PT, to watch the History Channel’s Salute to Service special. Featured in the program will be our very own Lauren Schulz, Corporate Communications Director and U.S. Marine Reserve Lieutenant Colonel. The program honors service members and their contributions to their community.
- This year’s Veterans Day Parade in New York City starts early on Nov. 11, and will be broadcast on WPIX-11. V Teamers have nominated more than 200 veterans to be featured on a digital billboard truck that will be part of the motorcade.
- Sign up for the national walk (Verizon Media link) that will follow the Wounded Warrior Project Virtual Check Donation Ceremony on Up to Speed on Friday, Nov. 13, hosted by Tami Erwin and Ronan Dunne.
- America Salutes You concert is live tonight and going on until November 14. Tune in to watch America Salutes You Guitar Legends 4. Sponsored in part by Verizon and Yahoo!, this concert gives thanks and support veterans, service members, first responders and their loved ones through non-profits. Check your local listings on FOX, ABC, ViacomCBS, YouTube, Amazon, NBC, PLUTO and Apple Music for concert times. Go here to donate. 100% of your donations will be matched by the company! You can log in here and search for Charity ID 812668433 to fill in the application for matching funds.
- Don’t miss the LinkedIn Live stream with Medal of Honor recipient SSG Ryan Pitts. On Nov. 18, Tami Erwin will moderate a session on Wellness in the Workplace and how this affects our veterans, with a hero recognized with a Medal of Honor for his service in Afghanistan.
- Learn how VR and 5G can help returning vets heal. No longer just a platform for gaming, virtual reality is proving to be a safe and effective tool to help veterans cope with PTSD.
- Shop for Verizon-branded military apparel at Call For Fire (CFF), owned and operated by a retired Army veteran. Partial proceeds from sales support veteran nonprofit organizations (Mission 22, FourBlock, Semper K9, Wounded Warrior Project and Burnpits360.org.)
- Share on social channels. Post messages on your handles. Verizon and Verizon Careers social channels with highlight employee activities using the hashtag #Thanks2Vets.